Illegal to Drink and Drive??

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Did you know it was illegal to drink liquid and drive? I didnt. There’s an article on the internet about a Minnesota woman pulled over for taking a sip of coffee while driving and they say its a fact. That’s a big wow for 5.4 million of us that live here.
    http://www.fox9.com/news/36644535-story

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Based on that clowns interpretation, you better not turn on the radio, scratch yourself or sneeze. I’d fight it.

catnip
    south metro

Its illegal to do just about anything in Minnesota it seems except pay high tax rates.

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

such a waste of everyone’s time. go find people speeding thru school zones. Only logically thing i could think of she was attractive so he wanted a closer look.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

She was given a warning ticket for the distracted driving and a citation for unbuckled seat belt.

She obviously does not have the skill to dive a car and drink coffee at the same time. Sounds like she got exactly what she deserved.

-J.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I think we should consult our forum’s tame law enforcement professional about this. Hopefully he’s around when we need him…

It would seem to me that it’s not “illegal to drink liquid” while driving, it’s illegal to drive like an eejet while being distracted by anything, solid, liquid, or gas. It’s not what you’re doing, it’s how well you’re driving WHILE you’re doing it. There’s a lot of people out there who can hardly drive well enough to be on the road with both hands on the wheel.

But what do I know? Maybe there’s some statewide Crackdown on Coffee blitz going on because in general our fine men and women in uniform found themselves without enough to do.

Grouse

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

The funny thing was she got the ticket for not wearing a seat belt. Which she says she took off after being pulled over. The last ticket I got was in Webster SD this summer for the same thing. After being puller over ( Said I was speeding – Which I was not ) as he approached the window I took off my seat belt to get my wallet out of my back pocket ( He had to see me take my seat belt as he was right at the window when I took it off. I feel her pain

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Seems like the seat belt ticket was a gesture by the cop. I think the distracted driving ticket is a moving violation and the belt ticket is not??
    Where are our resident IDO patrolman for clarification?

Jeff Schomaker

That’s an interesting law. Considering I practice duck calling almost every day on my way to and from work. Wonder what the officer would say to that! Haha

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

This might be a stretch of the distracted driving law. I think since cell phones this law is getting a lot of attention. I am 100% behind law enforcement all the time, I just think this is a bit of a stretch.

She did get a warning for it and she probably got pretty mouthy about it which ensued the seat belt ticket. She does seem to have quite the attitude in the video. As far as pulling her over cause he thought she was attractive…I seriously doubt that unless it was a very long lonely night for the officer whistling

big_g
    Isle, MN

Juts an FYI from what I remember… when you are pulled over, the last thing the officer wants to see is you reaching and fumbling for something, whether it be your wallet, you insurance card or your hand gun… see what I did there ? The best thing you can do is just sit there, not moving, not unbuckling, not trying to save time by having your license and registration out… just sit there and only react after the officer asks you to…is this right Deertracker ?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

To echo what G said, the cops I’ve talked to say to just sit there with your hands on the wheel till they ask for something.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Juts an FYI from what I remember… when you are pulled over, the last thing the officer wants to see is you reaching and fumbling for something, whether it be your wallet, you insurance card or your hand gun… see what I did there ? The best thing you can do is just sit there, not moving, not unbuckling, not trying to save time by having your license and registration out… just sit there and only react after the officer asks you to…is this right Deertracker ?

That’s always been my practice Mr.G.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

To echo what G said, the cops I’ve talked to say to just sit there with your hands on the wheel till they ask for something.

Dont expect them to be nice just because you do this. The last one that pulled me over was an absolute dik.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ralph Wiggum wrote:</div>

Dont expect them to be nice just because you do this. The last one that pulled me over was an absolute dik.

Well, in fairness Suzuki, you didn’t do yourself any favors when you said to the cop, “Don’t you have something better to do like go find a doughnut shop to stake out?”

Grouse

Sharon
    SE Metro

From what I understand, drinking and eating can fall into the category of distracted or inattentive driving. So if your are drinking, eating, fumbling with a map, hitting buttons on the radio, etc, and you show sings of being distracted or inattentive, then you might just get pulled over and issued a ticket.

And as mentioned, it’s just good practice to place both hands on the wheel and don’t move until the officer instructs you to. It doesn’t mean you’ve done anything wrong or that you’re a criminal if you move, but it just makes their job a little easier. And if they’re putting their lives on the line daily to help ensure citizen safety, I think they deserve a little courtesy.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>suzuki wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ralph Wiggum wrote:</div>

Well, in fairness Suzuki, you didn’t do yourself any favors when you said to the cop, “Don’t you have something better to do like go find a doughnut shop to stake out?”

Grouse

He was a professional. He should have been able to take that in stride.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I want wonder how many people have been killed as a result of spilled coffee while driving.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

@deertracker would normally have been here to help us out with a question of this magnitude, but I just received word that they’re behind on his department’s Diet Coke Drinker ticket quota, so they’re setting up a road block down the street from the McDonalds in order to nab more perps.

Did anyone see the state patrol’s new safety campaign? Sip it and get a ticket.

Ok, I’m done now. I’m good.

Grouse

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I want wonder how many people have been killed as a result of spilled coffee while driving.

The correct answer is 42, but you gotta look at the big picture. Those 42 people were such a bunch of retreads that they’re lucky to have lived this long anyway.

So they were on borrowed time, essentially. They would have died the next day if they had accidentally tried to walk anywhere while chewing gum.

Grouse

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>biggill wrote:</div>

The correct answer is 42, but you gotta look at the big picture. Those 42 people were such a bunch of retreads that they’re lucky to have lived this long anyway.

So they were on borrowed time, essentially. They would have died the next day if they had accidentally tried to walk anywhere while chewing gum.

Grouse

Agreed. But what about the people they hit?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

“Sip it and get a ticket.” jester

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

I guess that sex while driving is totally out of the question then.

CaptainMusky

How about all the people who drive around with their precious “musky bait” dog Precious sitting on their lap? Ridiculous.
    I know a lot of people who got seatbelt tickets that “just took them off to get their wallet”. ;-)

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

How about all the people who drive around with their precious “musky bait” dog Precious sitting on their lap? Ridiculous.

The same ones that think they belong in their shopping cart in the grocery store. SMH.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.