If You Only Had One…….Lure

• fishingdm

I’m starting to go through my bass tackle and stock up for this year. I’m always interested in hearing what others favorite lures are. What lure would you pick if you could only have one?

Mine would be a black curly tail grub on a spin jig.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

When live target discontinued the pearl lipless gizzard shad, i bought the last 340 I could find in distribution. Additionally, I contacted every rep group and bought their sales samples. I’m down to about 290 left. Hopefully that lasts me for the next 25 years….if I live that long

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Wow! It is true, the lures catch more fisherman than fish. I just hope you tell your wife how much your tackle is worth in case after you retire, she doesn’t liquidate it on CL for what you told her you paid. As an eyeguy, I don’t think I own that many jigs…Dang!
    I got a guy I work with that bought up all sorts of those slabraps when they first came out. Every so often I poke him to see if he was still using them like he said after one good weekend. He just gives me a dirty look now

robby
    Quad Cities

1/4 oz Brovarny swimjig with 5 inch grub. Fish that lots of different ways.

blank

That’s a tough decision, but I’d probably go with an X-Rap. Versatile and works all year and in all waters, both large and small mouth.

Iowaboy1

if my target species was bass and bass only, a two inch floating rapala in perch colors fills the bill.

toss it into an open spot in the lily pads,let the rings disappear,twitch it once and get ready to set the hook.
    if casting and retrieving it,depending on the depth the bass are at,retrieve about three feet,pause,repeat.
    on slow days,retrieve about eight feet slowly,pause around twenty seconds,pop it and start over.

I have caught hundreds ( no exaggeration ) of bass doing this along with several walleyes,perch,northerns and a few large bluegills,point is,you wont go hungry with this lure.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Strike King KVD 2.5 squarebill crankbait or a texas rigged worm.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

If you asked me a few years ago I would have probably said a Texas rigged worm or possibly a spinnerbait.

However now I would say hands down a chatterbait. You can’t beat the versatility of how many different ways you can fish them and it’s becoming my most productive lure.

Bass_attack

Texas rigged strike king rage tail craw

tpmorgz
    Central Iowa

Swim jig with a chigger craw trailer

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I’ve caught quite a few big bass on a jig and leech, brown and black.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

That’s a tough one,probably a 4 or 6 inch creature bait or a spitting image swim jig.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>fishingdm wrote:</div>

I’ve caught quite a few big bass on a jig and leech, brown and black.

Fishing with a jumbo leech under a bobber is a great way to catch bass.

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

Roadrunner.

Bryan Myers

For me it would be a 3/8 oz swim jig it’s so versatile. I can throw it thru pads or in grass or I can work it in clean water and it will get eaten.

Whateverbites

Senko, hands down. 3 choices to rig, 1. Wacky w/ #2 VMC Neko hook 2. Same neko hook but in a dropshot or #3 use a EWG hook to rig it texas style for thicker weeds

mike mulhern

Depends, Survival, jig 1/4 oz. Search bait, troll #5 shad rap silver black. big fish bait, mepps spinner black and silver.
    mike

tpmorgz
    Central Iowa

Senko, hands down. 3 choices to rig, 1. Wacky w/ #2 VMC Neko hook 2. Same neko hook but in a dropshot or #3 use a EWG hook to rig it texas style for thicker weeds

That was my second choice, but I love my jigs.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

No one else voting for a chatterbait? What’s your thoughts on a chatterbait?

blank

I’ve never used one or have seen one used in person. Maybe this is the year I get a couple and give them a whirl. It seems as though its more of a southern bait and hasn’t gain its popularity up north yet.

milemark_714

Or a #5 Shad Rap.

Attachments:
    1. 1lure.jpg

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

@blank I think there is a lot of truth to that. I sort of heard of them before I moved, but thought they were a bit gimmicky.

The reason I chose it is you can fish it anyway you fish a jig or spinnerbait from buzzing it to jigging it. That and in the very least it has been as productive as plastics and spinnerbait down here, probably more.

I’d think they’d be deadly jigged for smallmouth.

I’ve used the cheap original ones and the more expensive Zman models. I prefer the cheaper ones if you try them. The spendier ones I think can be a little aggressive in their chattering. I’m sure the off brands work as well too.

As I write this it seems to me Zman wasn’t really in the market up there much. Maybe that’s part of it. Zman makes a lot more than chatterbait and are popular down here.

blank

Good to know. Yeah, I’ve heard of Zman brand, but it certainly isn’t popular up here.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I have a love/hate with chatterbaits. I love the versatility but find the bite is really finicky, as in feeling the bites.

fishingdm

The chatterbait is on my list of new baits to try this year.

The senko would be my second choice.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Clown Color rapala

Second would be a good ‘ol fashion red and white daredevil if I only had one lure and needed to survive off it.

FryDog62

The incredible edible wacky worm

drhamm

Texas rigged craw tube – black/blue or watermelon. Largemouth, smallmouth, deep or shallow, all year long.

broth82

Mine would be a swim jig also in 3/8oz. green pumpkin with a Christy craw green pumpkin trailer.

SpoonbillSlayer
    St. Michael, MN

Chartruese/White 1/2oz Spinnerbait with grub trailer.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.