If you are using the Navionics Mobile app for ice fishing and have questions…

• KirtH
    Lakeville

I haven’t used mine since last season. Now we need to do an annual subscription to download? All of my previously downloaded maps inside Navionics USA are now gone, and when I try to download the map for the lake I am on it says you cannot download maps outside the region you purchased “Buy Navionics+”

Over the last 5 years I have purchased Boating USA & Canada on Android

Then I purchased Boating USA on iTunes because I was told it wasn’t cross platform

Then I purchased Boating USA & Canada on iTunes because I was going to Canada

Now this….?

Long time lurker, first time poster. This has me heated, what a racket.

Trying to follow your time line here, so now you have an iPhone with the Canada and US version?

They have made some revisions to the app and its features. So help me to understand what you have now? Tap on the Menu tab and go to Charts and Upgrades you should see at the top USA and Canada Navionics + Subscription Expires in xxx days.

The Navionics+ renew is 4.99 per year which includes the following
    NAVIONICS+
    Navionics+ is an all-in-one subscription package, for one year, providing advanced features including: Nautical Chart, SonarChart™, Community Edits, Chart Updates, Advanced Map Options and Navigation Module. Scroll-side to see the available areas (or click “See all” to see a list). Purchased charts will display a green flag. Before purchasing a chart, you will have the option to try just one Navionics+ region. The free trial will last one week and once it has expired you’ll be able to continue using Navionics+ only by purchasing it. Remaining trial days are visible in the Charts & Upgrades section.
    Nautical Charts
    Nautical Chart is the award-winning vector map including dynamic tides & currents, nav aids, the largest database of POIs and more.
    SonarChart™is an HD bathymetry map, great for locating fishing areas and revealing more bottom contour detail. It reflects ever-changing conditions by integrating sonar logs from the Navionics Community with existing data. Chartplotter users can learn how to view SonarChart™ and how to record sonar logs using the major sonar brands (Humminbird, Lowrance, Raymarine, Simrad, B&G and Garmin) on navionics.com/sonarcharts. Garmin GPS chartplotter users can access SonarChart™ on our WebApp. SonarChart™ is viewable starting from a zoom level of 0.2 NM. You can enable/disable it by selecting “SonarCharts” on the Layer Selector on the lower left side of the screen.
    SonarChart™ coverage continues to expand, please check frequently.
    Community Edits are inputs made by users and shared for all to benefit.
    Navigation Module
    Once activated, Navigation Module will be available on all purchased charts. Navigation Module offers route planning and enhanced navigation features. You can create a route made of a single or of multiple waypoints. Place waypoints on the map (or edit them) and tap on “Go” to start navigating. Once you tap “Go” the route is automatically saved in your Route Archive. At the top of the screen you have: bearing (BRG), time and length to next waypoint, real time speed, COG (Course Over Ground), ETA and length to arrival. Tapping on each field, pop-ups provide details: you can customize and share displayed info, and access further route details (you can adjust cruising speed and average fuel consumption parameters and units). The console might be hidden for a better view of the map. Tapping on “Route” again you can:
    – Stop your Route
    – Reverse your route
    – Edit your route: you can remove, move or add intermediate waypoints in the desired position. To delete a waypoint, tap on it, and then tap on “Delete Waypoint”.
    – Access further route details.
    Tapping on “My Routes Archive” you can access all the routes you have created and activate the one you desire.
    ADVANCED MAP OPTIONS
    Advanced Map Options allows you to customize your map display and highlight the most important map features. First select desired units of measurement in Settings. Features include:
    – Shallow Area: highlight shallow and potentially hazardous areas on the map in a red warning colour (red marks);
    – Depth Shading: allow the shading display of depth areas corresponding to the desired contour (blue);
    – Depth Contours: specify which bathymetric lines are shown on the map;
    – Seabed Areas: reveals underlying seabed composition (only available for Portugal, France, North of Corsica and select US HD lakes);
    – Fishing Mode: check the box to turn on the “Fishing Range” option;
    – Fishing Range: select a particular depth range that is then highlighted on the map (white). Target the area where you want to focus fishing efforts.
    Shallow Area, Depth Shading and Depth Contours are mutually related: the value you set on Shallow Area will be the minimum one for Depth Shading; the value you choose for Depth Shading will be automatically set as the lower limit for Depth Contours: this means that the map will show bathymetry up to and including the limit you set. Fishing Range is related to Shallow Area and Depth Contours according to the principles previously described. The Advanced Map Options features are visible under different zoom levels. Fishing Range and Seabed Area features are visible only if you zoom in to at least 4 NM. Shallow Area, Depth Contours, Water Level and Depth Shading are visible at any zoom level. When you set a value for Water Level greater then “0”, a red alert button and a warning will display on the screen reminding you of the value you have set. To make the message disappear, tap on the button. To remove both the button and the message from the screen, set Water Level back to “0”.
    Tap on “Reset default values” to bring all values back to default.
    Chart Updates
    You can download updates for all previously downloaded maps or select a specific area by using the pins tool or zooming and panning on the area. You can download updates also:
    – By selecting “Update All” at the bottom of the main Menu window.
    – Through the notification that will show in the app every 30 days.

Tim Bossert
    Cochrane, WI

There used to be Windows options, now they are gone with the killing off of Windows RT. Will there be an option in the near future for Windows 10?

KirtH
    Lakeville

There used to be Windows options, now they are gone with the killing off of Windows RT. Will there be an option in the near future for Windows 10?

They could not get the Window versions to run right, I believe it is in the works

fishtoeat
    Chippewa Falls, Wi

Which version are you using? I would like it for Canada also, but I could along without Canada. The free, USA or HD. What do you recommend for Android Samsung S6?

Kirt
    Lakeville

Android S6 get the 14.99 US and Canada version

AndRo

KirtH,

I purchased it for my android phone 5 years ago? It worked for several years without the need for an annual subscription. I moved to my iPhone 2-3 years ago and made the purchase on there as well and I haven’t had to renew until this year. What was once not a subscription service has been changed to a subscription service with an update? I feel as though I should be able to use the app I purchased. Not this new one.

KirtH
    Lakeville

KirtH,

I purchased it for my android phone 5 years ago? It worked for several years without the need for an annual subscription. I moved to my iPhone 2-3 years ago and made the purchase on there as well and I haven’t had to renew until this year. What was once not a subscription service has been changed to a subscription service with an update? I feel as though I should be able to use the app I purchased. Not this new one.

Not sure what to tell you other than like most business’s they revamped the app added more features etc. that are included in the subscription for the year. I have a post above that states what is included with the subscription. The basic app is still free. I dont own the company just work for them, you can send them an email if you like and let them know. I guess most folks figure 9.99 per year isn’t to bad of a deal for what you get on yearly basis, they do have to pay the bills to offer this service.

http://navionics.force.com/MobileTech?cancel=http%3A%2F%2Fnavionics.force.com%2Fkb

Marv Gilbert

I understand that “Downloaded Maps appear highlighted and are permanently stored on your Android device” and that one way this can be done is by zooming in far enough and the download begins automatically.

Is there a way to prevent the auto download? If not is there a way to clear the permanently stored maps? It would be OK if I could store to the microsd card, but I’m afraid I’ll quickly fill up my internal memory just by looking around and zooming into maps.

KirtH
    Lakeville

I understand that “Downloaded Maps appear highlighted and are permanently stored on your Android device” and that one way this can be done is by zooming in far enough and the download begins automatically.

Is there a way to prevent the auto download? If not is there a way to clear the permanently stored maps? It would be OK if I could store to the microsd card, but I’m afraid I’ll quickly fill up my internal memory just by looking around and zooming into maps.

It won’t auto download you have to click on Download. You can select an area to download if you are traveling outside your coverage area.
    If you click Menu then Download Map (Maps saved for offline use)
    It will work like a handheld GPS

According to our tech people this data uses very little memory when downloaded.

If you are just viewing it live it doesnt use any memory or download to your phone.

I hope I followed your question correctly.

Marv Gilbert

Thanks for your quick reply.

Here is what I experienced… When I zoom in, through wi-fi it will bring the contour lines in full rez. When I zoom out, that area is now highlighted. If I turn off wi-fi and also turn off mobile data, turn phone off and on, I can go back to the app and those areas are still highlighted and at full rez. This is all without manually selecting and downloading a region.

So I am assuming they are getting stored somewhere. Not a big deal if they don’t take up too much data.

KirtH
    Lakeville

Thanks for your quick reply.

Here is what I experienced… When I zoom in, through wi-fi it will bring the contour lines in full rez. When I zoom out, that area is now highlighted. If I turn off wi-fi and also turn off mobile data, turn phone off and on, I can go back to the app and those areas are still highlighted and at full rez. This is all without manually selecting and downloading a region.

So I am assuming they are getting stored somewhere. Not a big deal if they don’t take up too much data.

Marv I reread your question and have to amend my answer slightly. When you zoom in tight enough and scroll around it does download that area you are zoomed in on. It is an automatic feature, I check to see if there is a way to shut this off and was told no. Things change and maybe that will be changed

Again the data saved to your phone is minimal

Marv Gilbert

Appreciate your help.
    I’m really liking the app… thanks.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 75 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.