IDO TV Show Ice Line / Line Advice

• James Walliser

I noticed some of the rods in recent IDO episodes are spooled with a green line. Is that the lime colored Sufix 832 Ice Braid? I’ve seen braids ice up pretty bad when fishing outside, does the 832 ice line do better than the typical braid?

I’m looking for a line that I can use on a multi-day backpacking/ice fishing trip. At one lake we will be targeting lakers up to 12 lbs but at the other lakes we will be fishing for small trout (Brookies, Browns, Rainbows). My thinking is that maybe the 832 Ice Braid in 8 or 10 lb paired with the right size fluoro leader would work for any lake we might fish. I’m just concerned that by going with a braid I’ll end up in the backcountry with unusable, frozen line. Any advice is appreciated!

SW Eyes

I like braid because you don’t get the spool memory, and get stronger line with a thinner diameter.

It can get waterlogged, frozen, and swell up, but I don’t have any more problems with that than I do mono icing up.

I always lead a couple feet of fluoro off my braid.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Give any of these a try

Berkley Fireline Ultra 8 carrier .12 mm 4# knot break 8# 4 oz.
    Berkley Fireline Original .13 mm 4# knot break 6# 12 oz.
    Sufix 832 Ice Braid .10mm 4# knot break 9# 2 oz.
    ASSO Micro Finish braid .10 mm 12# knot break 9# 12 oz. Mfg claim break of 16.5#
    Powerpro Ice Braid 4# knot break 5# 10 oz. (slow pull 6# 9 oz.)

Without tension, Sufix 832 is the thickest of the bunch.
    Powerpro ribbons/flattens out the most

skfishing16

I’ve tried the 832, but it absorbed to much water. Been using Nanofil and so far have not found anything better. If monos and floros didn’t have memory they would be great.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I noticed some of the rods in recent IDO episodes are spooled with a green line. Is that the lime colored Sufix 832 Ice Braid? I’ve seen braids ice up pretty bad when fishing outside, does the 832 ice line do better than the typical braid?

I’m looking for a line that I can use on a multi-day backpacking/ice fishing trip. At one lake we will be targeting lakers up to 12 lbs but at the other lakes we will be fishing for small trout (Brookies, Browns, Rainbows). My thinking is that maybe the 832 Ice Braid in 8 or 10 lb paired with the right size fluoro leader would work for any lake we might fish. I’m just concerned that by going with a braid I’ll end up in the backcountry with unusable, frozen line. Any advice is appreciated!

All braids ice more than mono or flouro. What do I prefer? I use a braid when temps outside are near or above freezing or when fishing inside a shelter. If temps are cold and I’m going to be running around outside I switch to mono.

milemark_714

I’ve tried the 832, but it absorbed to much water. Been using Nanofil and so far have not found anything better. If monos and floros didn’t have memory they would be great.

I tried Nanofil,but found that Crystal Fireline was better behaved.The Nanofil seemed to frizz faster that Crystal and break easier.

James Walliser

Thanks everybody for your recommendations. I ended up spooling my reels with 10# 832 Ice Braid in Neon Lime. We fished 5 days in the backcountry around Lake Tahoe and I was very happy with the line. One day we had temps around 20F with wind chill much lower and gusts up to 30kts. On that one day I did deal with some ice buildup but it was manageable. I think I’ll use it the next time I go into the backcountry but I’ll be sure have some backup spools with fluoro in case the temps are significantly below freezing. The most frustrating part is that we couldn’t reach the lakes with the big fish we hoped to hit because of deep snow so we didn’t actually need the braid! We would have been just fine with my usual 4# fluoro!

Attachments:
    1. EC28A23E-CCFC-4F7B-B432-D80A446EA492.jpeg

droc2487
    Letcher, SD

Does anyone use a leader with there braids? I am more of a hole hopper so I typically use mono sufix magic ice with a leader to prevent line twists, witch are kinda a pet peeve of mine.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.