Ever had….one of those trips?

• cdn
    West Central, MN

I don’t know why I am writing this, but I guess I can only look back at it, laugh and make it “one for the books”.

My two friends and I ventured to explore Rainy Lake on ice for once this past weekend. The warm weather improved conditions statewide, and we needed some new scenery. We wanted a new adventure and get away from the crowds, and we got it. I love Rainy Lake and I don’t make trips up there as much as I like anymore.

I arrived early, alone, Thursday late afternoon hoping to wet a line and catch some fish. I never did wet a line as I had difficulties throughout the evening getting set-up for a long weekend. Just before I wanted to fish, I attempted to light the heater and it was inoperable. Hours of troubleshooting, I learned that Menards in International Falls was my new best friend.

The weather turned for the worst, and the winds really blew hard with a new front. I had no heat, I was alone and the wind was crazy. I can say I panicked a little.

The rest of the trip, in a nutshell, consisted of:

-Installing a new direct vent heater.

-Finding my snowmobile completely covered with snow, under the snowmobile cover.

-Lost the snowmobile key after finding the snow infested machine. No clue where that key went. (My Mercury boat motor key was in the truck, and worked to save major headaches! lol)

-Buddy fell in the drink when we ventured into a place we shouldn’t have navigated w/ snowmobiles. He caught himself, and wet from the waist down. Thanks to the Otter Lodge he dried out nicely.

-Door blew off the fishhouse in another wind event.

-On the way home, my diesel truck loaded with snowmobile in the bed and wheelhouse in tow blew a front driver’s side tire and almost had a head-on collision on Hwy 71. The scariest thing I’ve experienced. (Thanks to the driver of the Chevy truck who swerved to avoid a collision just in time…I had no steering control at 55mph )

-Friend’s trailer blew a trailer tire, but they had all the tools ready to go for a quick change after my truck’s ordeal.

As the old commercial goes:

1. New Buddy heater to give temporary heat for one night- $55

2. New Direct Vent heater to stay warmer, and tools to install- $400

3. New truck tires as I don’t trust the tires on it now – $950

Going on a fishing trip with friends, we managed to have a great time and joke constantly about all our “issues”….PRICELESS! The jokes and memories will prevail.

The fishing report: pretty tough. Found plenty of jumbo perch, small walleyes/saugers and a couple pike. If you really want to catch fish, call a guide like Granrud. That lake is overwhelming big and full of mind-boggling structure! The scenery and solitude….out of this world.

Happy to be home and safe!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Wow, sounds like a tough trip. Glad you made it home in one piece! Here’s to open water.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Quote:

Wow, sounds like a tough trip. Glad you made it home in one piece! Here’s to open water.

x2

arklite881south

My goodnes Chuck!! Sounds like everything that could have went wrong certainly did. I am happy to hear everyone is safe and sound. How Scary!! I bet you were darn happy to get into your driveway and take a nice soft seat on the couch!!

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Quote:

Ever had….one of those trips?

Constantly when I was a kid. Recently? Nope, thank God.

Well I guess my buddy went into the drink up to his hip a couple weeks ago.

iceicealdrich
    Hutchinson, MN

Quote:

My goodnes Chuck!! Sounds like everything that could have went wrong certainly did. I am happy to hear everyone is safe and sound. How Scary!! I bet you were darn happy to get into your driveway and take a nice soft seat on the couch!!

No, No not everything went wrong, they did catch some fish. Now if they didn’t catch any then it would have been everything went wrong.
    Well guy’s you win some and you lose some, atleast you didn’t give in. Looking back at this will bring good laughing memories.

g-no
    Minnesota

Wow…that is definitely some bad luck! Hopefully you got it all out of your system on that adventure! Was up there as well over the weekend but didn’t have luck like yours. Had to assist another icehead with a spare sparkplug after his other partners took off (And didn’t come back! Lol). We found the fishing tough but the wind on Sunday was the worst. Good luck on your next adventure!

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

No, No not everything went wrong, they did catch some fish. Now if they didn’t catch any then it would have been everything went wrong.

At least you caught fish!

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

I don’t talk about these kind of days or trips.

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Great makings to a bad luck country song
    At least you made it back in one piece What a bad luck trip.
    Thanks for sharing it tho, guys getting packed for a trip are double checking everything thanks to you

cdn
    West Central, MN

Quote:

I bet you were darn happy to get into your driveway and take a nice soft seat on the couch!!

I was extremely happy to be home! My kids and I chilled out on the couch.

To add to the pain, I didn’t mention that half way through the trip I got sick with strep throat. Still haven’t unpacked anything from the trip, and don’t really care to touch anything right now.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

We’ve all had those trips, which is why it hurts worse reading your story! That’s a whole winter of bad luck for alot of folks, you just chose to take it all in one lump sum. You’ve paid in quite a bit to karma, so you should be good for a few years now!

Joel

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

I have at least two trips every year like that….

Pat Howard
    Sparta Wi

Quote:

We’ve all had those trips, which is why it hurts worse reading your story! That’s a whole winter of bad luck for alot of folks, you just chose to take it all in one lump sum. You’ve paid in quite a bit to karma, so you should be good for a few years now!

X 2 You should be good to go from here on out Chuck

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.