Hardwater Trout! 2/5/11

• Big Lund 20
    Cedar Rapids, IA

A break in the weather meant it was time to get on the ice with my fishing buddy in tow. After changing my mind about a thousand times on where to go, I finally opted to chase after some stock pond trout. Dawson had never seen a trout in real life, let alone caught one so I figured we would try to catch just one to make that happen. We were able to achieve our goal and have a good time doing it!

The pond we ended up fishing was stocked a little under a month ago and I had read reports that a lot of the trout had perished and there were many dead fish sitting on the bottom of the lake. This was not exactly the report that I wanted to see but you can’t believe everything you read. Dawson, Grandpa and I started fishing at 8am and the first fish was landed only minutes into our morning. The first fish was out of the water long enough for a photo and then put back down the hole. Fishing started well and kept us busy for most of the morning. After catching and releasing a few we decided to keep a few for the dinner table. The trout cooperated and we ended up with 7 eaters after 4 hours of fishing.

The highlight of the day was when Dawson was going from hole to hole assisting in ice removal and asked if he could fish for a bit. As many know, when a 4 year old wants to trade in the ice scooper for the rod you better get it in his hand fast before the moment is over. I handed Dawson the rod and in mere seconds a fish appears on the Vexilar. I told him to get ready and then BAM, fish on. A few cranks on the reel and Dawson’s first ever trout was in our hands. He was very excited and being the good little boy that he is, quickly wanted to release his fish to swim again. I quick grabbed my phone and got a picture before he set his trophy free.

Another great day had in the outdoors!

Straight Shots and Tight Lines,

Dave

Davidk

I fish lake trout in the spring and live by some ponds, i also have a friend thats never caught one. It would be really neat to take him out, but i have never fished them on ice…. any tips? depth, lures, bait? thanks

Pat Howard
    Sparta Wi

Good job and awesome pictures

Big Lund 20
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Quote:

I fish lake trout in the spring and live by some ponds, i also have a friend thats never caught one. It would be really neat to take him out, but i have never fished them on ice…. any tips? depth, lures, bait? thanks

Stocked trout tend to keep in the shallows along the edge of the ponds. They cruise around the ponds feeding and when they are active, there is no working to get them to bite, you usually see them on the flasher and you better be ready to set the hook.

As far as baits, some people will tell you swedish pimples with waxies are the ticket. This outing was a red diamond jig with two waxies. I never switched jigs and size did not matter when I tied on the next size up after getting one wrapped in the ducer cord.

Lakers are probably an entirely different story. Hopefully someone can chime in and give some assistance. No matter what, know that trout fight awesome when ice fishing them, it’s a blast!

Dave

troutsrus
    Lytton Iowa

Nice job !!!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.