Marcum LX5 fishing next to Vexilar

• dustin cooper
    Des Moines, IA

I have been reading a lot reviews and get mixed answers. I want to purchase the Marcum LX5 but all my fishing buddies use Vexilars. Is there a problem with interference when you put the two together? It seems like there may be with the older Vexilars like the FL8. Any personal experience would be great.

herb
    6ft under

That’s what the IR button is for.

codycroteau1
    La Crosse Wisconsin

no interference with my fl-8 and my buddies lx-5! its pretty awesome

Dream’n
    South St. Paul, Mn

I fish my LX-5 next to a fl-18 and fl-8 all the time and have no problem because of the interference rejection button. Will be doing it again this weekend!

arklite881south

Hey Dustin!!

BTW nice Pike!!

My experience has been that the older models of Vexilar have a tough time with interference with not only Marcum, but other Vexilars as well. I believe the newer models are a bit better at mimimizing that annoying noise or Train effect around the dial.

You’ve also got mail Pal!!

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

I fish with an LX-5 and my buddy fishes with a FL-12 and we have not had a problem yet. We are usually between 3 and 6 feet apart in a permanent.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

When we fish 4 in a shack on LOTW the guy(s) with the Vex has the hardest time. Not even close.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

All previous posts are very good information about being able to fish with multiple flashers side by side. I say make the purchase, utilize the IR button and have fun ice fishing.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Its true the vexilar guys get a ton of interference from the marcum…. Guys out fishing the vex guys…

I’ve mixed the never had a problem, I did have an issue with one of my lx3’s that caused problems with any flasher, but marcum fixed that unit, no more issues since.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

The only time I’ve had any real problems was in water 35-42′ deep, the Vex just couldnt weed out the interference however I have fished both side by side in a 2 man portable and didnt have any problems getting both to come in clear.

fireline
    Rochester

Question . If you have an OLD FL-8 without the IR can you still use it next to other with IR ?

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Just get the LX5, cause nobody will ever mistaken your Vexilar LX5 for theirs…

Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

I have an LX5 and my wife has an FL8. Fish them side by side without issue.

Coreyhuberty
    Brainerd,MN

Do you just hit the IR button once then your good???

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

In my experience sometimes you have to hit the IR multiple times until you both find the right combination.

Coreyhuberty
    Brainerd,MN

Wasn’t aware of that. Thanks!

Joef421
    SW Wisconsin

I can’t speak to the LX5 but my FL-12 is only a few years old and i have a heck of a time next to LX1’s….I don’t think i will look at a marcum for this reason. I think they are a great unit but all my buddies have vex’s….I will say that hummin birds and vex’s seem to play nicely. Good luck!

WALLEYE444

Quote:

In my experience sometimes you have to hit the IR multiple times until you both find the right combination.

Very true. Good point to mention this because alot of guys are not aware of this..

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Every LX-5 comes with a user manual that states the
    following……………..

Interference Rejection – The Signal Interference Rejection System is designed to knock out competing return signals from other sonar units being used within close proximity. When other sonar units are causing interference to the display of the LX-5, activate the IR feature by depressing the IR key located on the face of the LX-5.

There are 12 levels of interference rejection that can be used to knock out competing signals. Press the IR key to activate, each consecutive actuation (depressing the key) will change the level of signal rejection. Each actuation will result in an audible beep informing you that a system command has been recognized. The correct level of IR will be achieved when the display is clear of diplay clutter. In some extreme cases, clutter will be greatly reduced but not totally eliminated.”

chomps
    Sioux City IA

Quote:

Quote:

Very true. Good point to mention this because alot of guys are not aware of this..

Very true, my buddy has been ice fishing with an FL-18 for 4 years now and he just figured out the IR by depressing the gain knob!

Coreyhuberty
    Brainerd,MN

When charging my LX-5, I always disconnect the negative when Full charge is completed, then obviously connect back when its back in use. Is this proper procedure?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

That’s what I do so the battery meter doesnt draw power when not is use.

shaley
    Milford IA

Mine stays plugged it untill I use it again, no need to unplug the DCS between trips. I know a few that leave it plugged in all summer to. I do unhook mine after charging for the summer and try to remember to charge it every couple months in the summer.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.