Lake Winona Quick Bite

• cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

After staying up past midnight last night between doing chemistry and cleaning the kitchen at my apartment, I decided to sleep in a bit this morning. With no school related obligations until 1:00 I thought I’d venture onto the ice whenever I managed to roll out of bed. I made it to Lake Winona a little after 10:30 and put the auger to work right away, drilling out a pattern of holes on a familiar hump that I’ve been working the last couple of weeks. The first hole I fished produced a bunch of marks, with one keeper gill coming up quick. I got tired of sorting through dinks pretty quickly and began to bounce around, which led me to figure something out that’s going to change the way I fish out there. After icing a keeper perch and a few smaller ones, I grabbed for the auger again, drilling further up the flat of the hump with the idea that these perch have been roaming the top during the morning hours and sliding off the sides during mid day. What I hypothesized was backed up with a nice bucket of 5 perch and 2 gills in a brief hour and a half outing. The key was holding the bait at 5-6 feet over 11 feet of water. There were hoards of smaller bluegills relating to the bottom 2-4 feet, but with some extreme (and I mean extreme to the point of ridiculousness) jigging of a frostee 1/16 oz spoon with nothing on it, mark after mark would blast in from no-where just below my bait and proceed to crush it. Though i didn’t catch any hogs (biggest was about an 11″ male), it was still a very fun outing given the length, and it was nice to get some more bounty for the fish fry people are relying on my to put on this coming Sunday The question is, when I’m done here at the library… Should I go back out?

-Cade

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

Nice report Cade. This is the first year I have really caught perch in Lake Winona – not sure where they have been all these past few years but obviously there given some of the size I have seen this year. No real pigs but some nice 8-10″ fish.

Thanks,
    Dave

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Heck yes…

chomps
    Sioux City IA

nice hat!

Pat Howard
    Sparta Wi

Nice Fish and good job Cade

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

Yes, but without the Georgia Bulldogs hat!!!!

Dog

codycroteau1
    La Crosse Wisconsin

Like the hat! Great fish!

mudneck_joe
    SE MN

copy someones homework and take the week off. Buddy up to a plain girl and copy her notes tomorrow. Thats how I got through college while fishing and hunting.

craig daugherty
    Osseo, Mn

Great Report Cade! I used to fish that lake when I attended St. Marys.

crm790

I was out monday while you were eating 6 times. Went out alone and popped a couple holes through the ice with my trusty hand auger. I set up my shelter and right off the bat caught some nice little pesky baby gills. Every now and then I would get in a nice sized crappie. I ended up keeping one.
    I really am considering a heater man. It was rediculous the other day. Didn’t help that I walked out there since I dont trust the car on the ice.

I got three perch too but they were the standard gill size. This is the crappie I ended up keeping.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.