Split rings or not, that is the question…

• slab-hunter
    Red Wing, MN

Guys,
    I am interested in what all of you do when using jigging spoons like the Swedish Pimple (my fav) Demons and all the others that come with a split ring.
    Do you use the ring or not?
    If not, why?
    If you do, is knot placement on the ring a critical factor for you?
    If you do, what is your prefered knot to tie?
    If you use it, do you think it helps to add vibration or flash?
    Or do you just say the hell with it and tie directly to the line?
    I just cleaned out my box last night an found 15 unused rings and then question came to mind.

Thanks,
    Don

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Don, It is very critical to use a cross lock snap especially on lures that dont come with a split ring. Here is a pic of the size of cross lock i use. If the lure does already have a split ring i wil still use this cross lock as seen in the pic with the lightning spoon. It is very important to make sure that the jigging spoon is not restricted as far as fluttering/wobbling is concerned. You want that lure to look and feel “loose and alive” on the end of your line and with a cross lock snap this is achievable. When you tie directly to a sweedish pimple for example which don’t come with a split ring attached as far as i know and remember, that lure wont reach its potential as far as fluttering is concerned.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Sometimes I like to tie direction to lure, sometimes I like to use the snap and swivel to attach to lure. There are days that one will outfish the other method.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I’m with Grant on this one. The whole idea behind jigging spoons is the increased activity level of their action. Tying directly to the top loop impedes the lure’s ability to give you all that action. This is especially true with braids, even very light rated ones, which tend to be stiff.

Personally, I add a ring at the top loop if one does not come with the lure.

ntw
    Eastern MT

I have taken all the split rings off my spoons and use a cross lock as well. I switch baits very often if I’m not getting bites so it’s also nice to not have to retie every time I switch.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.