Need guidance on new shelter

• pond boss
    Nebraska

Hello all;

Can’t think of a better place to get some advice than this great forum! My Cabelas Hub Shelter was a disaster – so I’m in need of a new shelter ASAP.

I would like the ability to fish 2-3, don’t care about insulation. Eskimo, Clam, Frabill, Otter…I’m swimming trying to research them. I realize everyone has their personal favorites, so I’m asking for your input on the best brand/model of shelter. Would ideally like to spend around $500 but am willing to exceed if necessary. Durability, room/comfort, and weight [will often fish solo and on foot] will be important factors for me.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Tom

love2fish
    Shoreview, Grand Rapids, MN

Otter all the way- Hands down.

John

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Fishing solo and on foot doesn’t really go well with quality and roominess (read weight).

As you are swimming around in all the info, try to pay attention to how many negative things people have to say about Otters…… Good luck finding anything. They are built tough, but as a trade off to that toughness you sacrifice a little bit with the heaviness.

The Otter Wild series might fit you well as they are a little lighter and still well built.

Good Luck!

big_g
    Isle, MN

Clam all the way..Hands and Feet down

big G

Oh yeah, haul it in a Dodge

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Quote:

I would like the ability to fish 2-3, [will often fish solo and on foot] will be important factors for me.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Tom

A otter lodge, but you may need 2 houses from what your saying. A small Cottage for yourself, and or a Lodge or a Quickfish 6 pop up for when you have others with.

Eric Pomplun
    janesville, wisconsin

i got a frabill trekker dlx earlier this year and it has been awesome. plus it was only $350 and it came with a travel cover. i wanted an otter but no one close by me sold them so i settled with the frabill and have been very pleased with it.

mudneck_joe
    SE MN

I agree with big crappie. You either get room or weight. it is hard to get both. I love my new Eskimo Quickfish 6, but is still have a one person frabil that is light and can fish two people. I tried to find what you are looking for and decided to get a big one and keep fishing out of my little one for small trips.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

I’m running a Eskimo Quick Flip 350. It’s a great house regarding roominess, quality, and comfort.

However I’ve made the MISTAKE of dragging it out with me on a solo event. Never again. That thing is a tank (150# without auger, rods, bait, etc). Behind the snowmobile or in the truck, I love it.

I’m shopping for a hub style house I can take on solo trips or when I’ve got to walk somewhere and fish 2 people.

pond boss
    Nebraska

Thanks all – this is great feedback. Mudneck – I loved the roomy nature of the hub shelter, but construction was horrific. I’ve heard two guys here now speak highly of the Eskimo…have you ever had any issues with it? Could we chat a little more about it offline maybe? These shelters are exactly what I want, I’m just a little hookshy now for obvious reasons.

Otters come highly recommended on the forum, also. I’ll bet shipping is a killer – doubtful there are any Otter dealers in NE.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

how far is Sioux Falls for you? reason i ask is the Outdoor Show is at the arena/convention center Jan 21-23 and Reeds is usually there. If you call them they can usually make sure they bring what you want and save you the shipping charge and they may even skip the sales tax if you pay ahead. Reeds web page Looks like they have some deals running also.

Mocha
    Park Rapids

I sold my Otter, biggest Otter flip over, that was 10 years old late last fall. Great house but far to heavy for one old guy to load & unload. It was tough but heavy. I now have a Clam Voyager TCX. I do not believe the Clam’s sled or hitch is near as tough as the Otter but over all, definitely less weight. While I like the Clam’s tent and poles the hardware is totally “Crap!” and their Customer service, IMHO, is also “Crap!” I purchased my Clam at the Ice fishing show in early Dec 2010 and Clam has still done nothing to remedy my situation.

I would look at both for flip overs and then look very close at their weights since you said you will be fishing quite often by yourself.

Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

Quote:

how far is Sioux Falls for you? reason i ask is the Outdoor Show is at the arena/convention center Jan 21-23 and Reeds is usually there. If you call them they can usually make sure they bring what you want and save you the shipping charge and they may even skip the sales tax if you pay ahead. Reeds web page Looks like they have some deals running also.

Not at convention center. The show is at the fairgrounds and I doubt Reed’s will be there. Dakota Angler will be there and you can go on their website and contact Todd. You can get the shack you want from him at his store on Benson Ave. or at the show. http://www.dakotaangler.com

Good Luck

chomps
    Sioux City IA

was there a couple years back and Reed’s had some real good deals going, was at Reed’s two years back and the guys were busy unloading the trailer from the Sioux Falls show. Never been to Dakota Angler, but might be worth a trip. Sick of Scheel’s lack of selection. Maybe I’m thinking about the Sports Show in March.

WALLEYE444

Quote:

Thanks all – this is great feedback. Mudneck – I loved the roomy nature of the hub shelter, but construction was horrific. I’ve heard two guys here now speak highly of the Eskimo…have you ever had any issues with it? Could we chat a little more about it offline maybe? These shelters are exactly what I want, I’m just a little hookshy now for obvious reasons.

Otters come highly recommended on the forum, also. I’ll bet shipping is a killer – doubtful there are any Otter dealers in NE.

If you are looking for a great quality house that is made is the USA, do not forget to check out Canvas Craft. They use the Otter sled with their system. Best house I have owned. I have had Clams, Otters & fished out of Eskimos. They ship their products also. http://www.canvascraftinc.com/otterskin.html

travp
    Blaine , Mn

Otter. I sold my fish trap pro and bought a cottage, actually just put it together last night!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.