What is the ideal day for ice fishing??????

• r._kayle
    Cedar Falls, IA

Hypothetically speaking let’s say you have a week off and plan to fish a couple of those days, which factors would you use to make your decision. I know some people would just say “I’d go fishing no matter what”. I hear ya I go whenever i can as well, but if you only had a choice to go one or two days throughout a one week stretch, what would you look for in the forecast? Would you concentrate on barometric pressure? Would you be more concerned about wind speeds? How about temperature? There are many factors some believe that will help the bite be better. What’s yours????

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

I’ll speak for the walleye side of things. This morning we had the perfect conditions in my book. Yesterday we had strong north winds and early this morning the wind switched and we had a light sw wind with overcast skies. The fish should have been on fire but only one 21 incher saw the ice. That is my favorite weather pattern for bigger fish. If you want to catch smaller 12 inchers a north wind at 20 mph is good lol.

Jeff Bennett
    Lake Puckaway Wi.

Good question on when to fish. I keep track of the barometric every mourning when I get up. My best days are ussualy a steady pressure or even a falling pressure will turn the fish on. A mojor pressure change and a wind changing directions when out fishing sometimes will put them in a negative mood. Just before the storm hits can be very good fishing. Even seen some days with high pressure as long as it has been steady for awhile is good. As far as temps nicer weather makes it easier to fish but does not always relate to a good bite. Here is the results from yesterday with steady pressure for the day.

Hope this helps . From Jeff

mower
    Wisconsin, Outagamie

When ever I can get out is a good time. My father-inlaw always watches the barameter. I know my spelling is bad. I would call him to see if he’d go fishing. The response would be your too late the time has come and gone. Things change all day long so I think just go and enjoy the time out fishing the best you can.

bucketmouth1
    Lancaster, WI

warm with overcast and a slight drizzle

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

The wind is my nemesis. I hate it! Give me cold, anything else without wind.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Partly cloudy, slight breeze from southwest, steady pressure, full moon or new moon. Then again, I went fishing four times this year, only three times I was fighting high winds and blizzard conditions. Biggest problem was snow drifts.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

I always would start w/Monday in this situation, in the hope that I would have the rest of the week to turn that 1 other day into maybe 2 or 3! Awful, I know.
    I love a low pressure pattern coming in…on it’s way in or as it settles in good…

Joef421
    SW Wisconsin

dropping or steady pressure, warming trend, overcast.

r._kayle
    Cedar Falls, IA

Interesting answers! Thanks fellas. Anymore?

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

As soon as the ice hits 1.75 inches

Steady or falling barometer make for a better bite in my opinion but, that does not mean a person cannot find a triger point on the tough days either.

r._kayle
    Cedar Falls, IA

Quote:

As soon as the ice hits 1.75 inches

Steady or falling barometer make for a better bite in my opinion but, that does not mean a person cannot find a triger point on the tough days either.

I hear ya on the ice thickness!!!!

Heading out to P9 tomorrow, hopefully I can make some things happen.

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Steady or dropping barom. Water running into your holes warm Overcast mist and fog. I’m not sure if the overcast makes them hungrier or mabe they tend to prowl a little shallower in the column making them easier targets. Good question.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

Water running into your holes warm

Bite your tongue Mr J

bosman
    DeSoto, WI

I’ll paint a slightly larger picture in terms of number of pan fish caught through a hole in the Mississippi River ice.

December ~ Excellent time to be ice fishing. Water O2 levels are still favorable. Fish are still gorging themselves for the big deep freeze. They’re schooled tight and most haven’t seen a hook in several weeks.

Jan ~ Conditions are challenging. Water O2 levels and metabolism haven fallen. Fish are lethargic as a result and begin to spread out and seek deeper water refuge. Feeding windows are small and far between and often accompanied with very light strike. Community holes have been pressured and what fish remain are the scholars of the school. Weather patterns have a much more pronounced impact on when these small feeding windows occur. Right time. Right place. Right profile.

Feb ~ There’s not much change in fish behavior and pattern from January. Still in a midwinter pattern. But towards the end of the month ~ the pattern does begin to shift. Fish begin to slowly migrate back into shallower water and school tighter. Melting snow and run off delivers some much needed oxygen. The first larvae hatches of the season lengthen feeding windows and strikes are more aggressive.

March ~ Best time of the entire season to be on what’s left of the ice. Fish are shallow and hungry. Feeding windows are longer and usually accompanied with a much more aggressive bite. Perch, in particular, are in early stages of prespawn.

So as I sit and stare at a calender, if I were afforded a full week of vacation (December ~ March) and I wanted to catch good numbers of pan fish through a hole in the Mississippi River ice ~ I’d be taking the 3rd or 4th week in December or the 1st week in March to increase in my odds.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

The best days I’ve had are right before major shifts in weather patterns. I don’t pay very close attention the barometer, by being out there it’s usually pretty clear to tell what is occurring. I dread seeing the end of those thick gray clouds as an endless sea of blue approaches…Then the temps begin to drop. The best success I’ve ever had is usually several hours before a major snowstorm or cold snap. I pray for those big storms in the forecast at night coming up from the south. Those are usually good days to fish. My least favorite days are right after a major snowfall + the cold that comes with it. Though I’ll admit it is fun when you piece together a good bite when thrown a curve-ball

g-no
    Minnesota

I agree with Cade, the best fishing I have seen is prior to a major storm…if there’s one forecasted, I’m out on the ice at least 2-4 hrs prior to it hitting and at least 2 hrs into it. I’ve heard the rise in pressure triggers fish also, but IMHO the fall in pressure is the best. But any day on the ice rocks!!!

hambone870
    Illinois Wisconsin Border

Steady pressure, i like to fish murkey lakes on clear days and clear lakes on overcast days

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.