Walleye & Perch sweetheart rods

• Coreyhuberty
    Brainerd,MN

I ordered two 30″ Perch Hearts & one 30″ Walleye sweet heart. Two and half wks. before they show up at my door. Anyone recommend a certain reel for them……(straight cork handels) ? Also does everyone use electrical tape for securing reels?

travp
    Blaine , Mn

Tica cetus or shimano sienna in the 500 series.

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

I go with the 750 sahara’s and also have a few 1000’s. For bigger walleyes i like the 750 and 1000 vrs the 500.

chriswallace
    Andover, MN

Electrical tape will do you just fine!

You can also buy the frabill specialized reel tape but the electrical tape does a fine job.

One thing I will add is put a strip of masking tape on the cork first where the electrical tape will go. It helps save the cork and prevents getting that nice gummy residue we all love.

g-no
    Minnesota

Sweet rods! I personally like the tica cetus ss and se reels and have them on all my ice rods. Very smooth, awesome drags, great in cold weather, and small in profile but have caught fish on them over 15lbs. Good Luck!

fieds
    ottertail county

Instead of electrical tape try the white “hockey” tape used to wrap hockey sticks. I use it on my summer rods too. If a store has the one inch width tape; like electrical tape width; its easier to wrap with but the standard width works fine. It stays “pliable” in cold weather and makes for a firm grip when wet.

You can twirl a length into a tight rope and wrap around the handle making a nice grip between the fingers, make sure to make another wrap around to secure it.

The edges are prone to a little fraying with use but can be smoothed out and secured with a little wiping of super glue.

fieds

hawkeye27

I love using the abu garcia reels. I have a couple different reels. I have a couple cardinals which I like on my panfish rods and then I have a couple 500 series placed on my walleye rods

chomps
    Sioux City IA

Teca’s, my Abu Cardnals get tight and don’t work real well when cold, I know I have to get some hot shot oil in there, but the Tica’s still get my vote

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

I have Tica Cetus ss500’s on all my ice rods and they work great. I would think a 500 -750 series shimano anything from Sedona on up would be great too but more $.

r._kayle
    Cedar Falls, IA

Stradic 1000’s for eyes and 750 Sedonas for Pannies!!!

hib
    Waterloo, IA

Tica cetus 500

Rope
    Kansas

Tica.I have never had a problem with the 7 I have,and I use them year round.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.