Ice Auger Tune Up

• FlightBob
    East Central MN

Yep. Had all spring, summer, and fall to get this done and I am doing it now. Purchased a Jiffy Barracuda Ice Auger last year. I need to get a tune up done. I live in the South East Metro and was wonderng where I should go to get this done? Never had to do it so I don’t want to get ripped off. Also about half way through the season last year, the auger started turning wihout hitting the gas. It was intermittent and only turned about a qaurter turn each time. Does anyone know what that might be and if it is a big problem or expensive fix?

Thanks
    Bob

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Centrifical clutch, idle is probably a little high. As far as a tune up the only thing to do is change the spark plug (that I can think of) if it was properly winterized.

I forgot to add that if it’s only a year old it probly won’t need a plug this year.

Mr. Pike 81
    NW Iowa

It is real easy to take the carb apart on these and spray everything with carb cleaner. If the gas was drained and the tank is clean, before you try taking the carb apart and cleaning, try mixing up some fresh gas-oil mix with seafoam. Put in a new plug and if it will start just let it run. The seafoam will do a good job of cleaning the carb unless it is too gummed up.

jetdriver
    Hudson WI

Get rid of that piece of crap and buy yourself a good hand auger!

eyesfishin
    Somerset, WI

I think it’s called D-rock in New Brighton. Give them a try.

jasono00
    cities

Lehmans in anoka is another good place to bring your auger for tune up’s.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

1. To the best of my knowledge Jiffy did not make a barracuda, Eskimo did.
    2. If its only 1 year old it should not need a tune up. Is it not running well?
    3. If the auger is spinning w/o hitting the gas all you need to do is turn the idle screw back a hair. If it spins a quarter turn everynow and then I would not worry about it.
    -Mark

FlightBob
    East Central MN

Atleast I have a piece of crap. Yours doesn’t even qualify as crap. The price was right though. You paid more for new blades then you did the auger. Why dont you stick to what you are good at.

FlightBob
    East Central MN

Thanks everybody for the suggestions. Mark you are correct that it is an Eskimo, not Jiffy.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.