Cabelas Ice Team Hub Shelter 6X12

• norge

OK Guys I should have asked this question before I did the deed but I have a 6X12 Cabelas Ice Team Hub Shelter on the way here that cost me $250 shipping included. Anyone have one or have any experience with them? Let me know the good the bad and any pertinent info.
    Thanks,
    Lloyd

Jerry Hochhausen
    Madison, Wisconsin

Lloyd, I just got a new Clam “Fish Camp TC” last week. I tried setting it up in my family room and the shanty was too big. It’s 7ft.x 14ft. The material is nice and heavy (600 denier) and it looks to be very well put together. (Cabela’s hub style shanties are also made by Clam)so I think they’re very similar in quality. I’m looking forward to being able to get 5 or 6 guys out fishing together in one shanty. Should be a lot of fun.

blackbay

You got the 6×12 for $250? Through Cabela’s? That’s a heck of a deal. My dad just picked up the 6×8 for $250.

jd318
    NE Nebraska

I believe it was a Club Visa membership deal that came in the monthly statement. I was thinking about getting one, too.

Let us know the quality when you get it.

pond boss
    Nebraska

Howdy Norge;

I’m new to the forum as well and just posted some questions regarding these larger tent style shelters. Cabelas, Clam, Frabill, and Eskimo all have similar models and I too am looking for any feedback on their quality, etc. I read some bad reviews on Cabelas regarding the Clam – but who knows might have been lemons. Look forward to your feedback!

liljac
    Lakeville, MN

This will be my Third year with an Eskimo QuickFish 3. It is the same type of hub system. Best investment I ever made in a shelter. Pops up and down in a minute. Haven’t had any tears or holes, and it folds right up into a backpack size. Plus the hub system gives you that extra room around the center and is tall enough to stand up in! (I’m 6’4″). Can’t speak for the Cabelas brand specifically but you should be set! Just make sure you stake it down, with a little wind then tend to become a kite sometimes.

mduffy1969

Just set mine up in the living room and it looks good! Got mine with the club deal and had a coupon that took the price to around $200 plus shipping. Couldn’t pass on it as I can easily take my four kids with me fishing and stay comfortable and warm. Have fished out of the Quickfish 3 for two years and have loved it. The setup is the same and the quality of the new unit seems the same also. Can’t wait to put it to the test on the ice. Next week for me I’m guessing.

mduffy1969

…. and it comes down easily and fits in the carry bag!!! BONUS!

PowerFred

Quote:

OK Guys I should have asked this question before I did the deed but I have a 6X12 Cabelas Ice Team Hub Shelter on the way here that cost me $250 shipping included. Anyone have one or have any experience with them? Let me know the good the bad and any pertinent info.
    Thanks,
    Lloyd

I bouht my son the 6×6 last year and he loves it. Easy to set up and easy to heat. The only drawback is having to drill anchor holes to keep it from blowing away if there isn’t enough snow to pack around the base. I paid $150 on sale last year. If you got the 6×12 for $250, you did well.

stelzig

I have the Clam Command Post 6×12 and used it quite a bit last year. I had two issues with mine:

1) Stitching on both zipper doors started to tear out. Clam replaced the house with a new one this fall, and hopefully I don’t have the same issue with the new one. My advice would be to pull in on the side hub when zipping the door to release some tension.

2) If you don’t dry it out when your done the hubs will rust. I especially had issues with the ceiling hubs, to the point where the eye bolt pulled through the material.

norge

Hey Guys,
    My Shelter came in and I will be setting it up soon to look it over. Lots of good advice here and mixed reviews from people.
    I will silicone the zippers first thing and try to get something on those areas that are subject to rust. I have several climbing ice screws that are a good solution for holding it down in the wind. What are you guys heating your shelters with? Mr. Buddies? Other propane heaters? Let me know. Thanks for all the input, I am usually just lurking and learning here.
    Lloyd

blackbay

Cabela’s has big discounts on the shelters. I think the sale ends today though. $250 for the 6×12 and $209 for the 6×8.

mduffy1969

…fished out of mine yesterday with three other adults. Very roomy and comfortable and not as terribly cumbersome as you might think. Really glad I pulled the trigger on this one. Makes party fishing with some of the older adults I take out alot more enjoyable. My kids will love it too…..

Deano6930

Hi, I still have a Cabelas 6×6 shelter. The problem I had was when it got very cold, like lets say 5 degrees oolder, and/or a very cold windchill and then folded down the unit, one of the hoop rods would stick, then I would force it a bit too hard to fold in completely, and it would bust out of the socket. I was only using a little buddy heater with about 3,800 btu’s. A buddy of mine with the same size shelter, a clam 6×6 used one of those sunflower like heaters, that puts out upto like 11,000 btu’s I believe, and they have never had issues with poles sticking or freezing up. The instructions did say to set up in a warmer enviroment, like with the heater near or something, but thats hard to do. Ya just don’t wanna leave the shelter in your car or in a shed overnight or all winter, then you WILL have problems. So I am thinking that you might need a more powerful heater to keep those hub sockets a little warmer. I just bought a larger buddy heater, and I may run the smaller buddy heater also. Let’s see if this does the trick. Read the post on getting better anchors, and I think I may do that also. Ones that came with the 6×6 just kinda sunk and wind blew the shelter away once. I just bought the 6×12 so I can take more people fishing. I do like the idea of getting some stuff for the zippers and some silicone.

aquajoe
    Minnetonka, MN.

I have the cabelas 6×12. works great. I wish it had more ice ce cleats for the windy days. It buckles up really easy in the wind. Zippers can be a little tricky. Stake it down with the zippers closed so you are not pulling it to tight for the zippers to close or they will pull apart.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.