Minnesota Tip-Up Fishing.

• blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Unless the laws have changed, it’s my understanding in Minnesota we still have to use treble hooks rigged with a spinnerbait type blade or other garnish to make it a legal presentation(lure). On the flip-side we can use quick strike rigs like the one pictured.

Just wondering what everyone here prefers, as I have half my tip-ups rigged with the treble/blade presentation and the other half set up with the quick strike rig. Although, the rigs I have on my tip-ups have one small hook for hooking into the bait on each end and one larger hook for “the BIG Fish.”

After viewing the Quick Strike Rigs from Thorne Bros. online, these look very effective.

I’d like to hear some thoughts and opinions from the tip-up fishing crowd.

perchhead

I like to use a terble hook with a spinner. I prefer to use the spinners on the wire shafts tied directly to 40lb cloth dacron tipup line, and rigged with a shiner or creek chub from the zumbro river.

lhprop1
    Eagan

After my share of gut hooked fish, I gave up trebles for tipups alltogether.

Now, I simply run a single J hook parallel to the dorsal fin. Hook up rate is the same as the treble and the hooks are a lot easier to remove.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.