Ice Forum Rookie Requesting Guidance

• pond boss
    Nebraska

Hello all;

First off, want to say I really have enjoyed reading your forum – seem like a solid group of knowledgable guys here and it’s a great resource for ice fishermen!

I have questions regarding upcoming purchases and was hoping for some guidance. I apologize my questions are so elementary – but one has to start somewhere!

We don’t typically enjoy much of a season down in SE NE [Lincoln] but the last few years ice has been solid for 10 weeks [about 2x normal season], and I want to gear up in order to take advantage of the extended season. Most of my fishing will be focused on my ponds or those bodies of water I manage and all share the characteristics of being under 10 acres, max depth 20-30′, and typical target species of Gills, Redears, Yellow Perch, and Crappies. I have no idea if this information is helpful when making recommendations on gear, but I thought I’d include it just in case!

I am planning on making the following purchases this year:

1. Ice Shelter – I have a two man Clam, but wanted to invest in something larger for my ponds where my entire family can fish together out of the elements. I am willing to sacrifice mobility for the ability to provide a family fishing spot. I’ve been looking at the Cabelas and Clam 6×12 tent style shelters, but read some very bad reviews on the Clam from feedback of Cabela’s customers online. I read that Clam also makes the Cabela’s version, so my fears transfer to that product as well. Essentially the feedback focused on their useless nature during windy days and also poor quality stitching and subsequent ripping, etc. I’m hoping some of you might be able to lend your experience or opinions on these style shelters. If they are poorly made it makes more sense for me to simply purchase another 2-man – but I had my heart set on the tent set up again for a family friendly environment. Appreciate any feedback on this.

2. Gas Auger – I imagine no one on this forum even considers a hand auger a real ice fishing tool, however, since ice rarely exceeded 8″ most Winters in SE NE a gas auger simply wasn’t necessary. However, 3 of the last 4 seasons have not only been much longer, but also with much thicker ice – up to 18″. After 20 holes on that ice one starts dreaming about gas augers…..With that in mind, I’m looking for your recommendations on gas powered augers. Jiffy, Eskimo, Strikemaster…I’ve read many forums and it seems the Strikemaster has the most favorable feedback. Cabelas has the Laser Mag Xpress on sale for $399. Would appreciate any feedback on auger choices or any guidance you deem pertinent.

3. Flasher – I know I’m stepping on a land mine here judging from the debates that have been waged in this forum, so I won’t even pose the Marcum vs. Vexilar question. My question instead would be this: Considering my target species [panfish] and typical water depth [max 30′] does one necessarily have to focus on the higher end or can they get away with the more base models – or does this make any difference at all? Also, is buying used generally considered a no-no for sensitive electronics like this? I realize I could throw $500 at a Marcum or Vexilar and probably be far more than satisfied, but not sure considering my conditions I need that level of performance.

Again guys, sorry for all the rookie questions. I really appreciate this forum as a great online resource and I thank you in advance for your feedback!

Go Huskers!

Tom Hudson

jjonsgaard
    Winona, MN

As far as the Pop-up goes, the Eskimo Quickfish 6 is a great shack. I have the clam expedition (3 Person) and the quickish 3 (Eskimo’s 3 person) is much better quality in my opinion. So if you are looking for a large pop up I would suggest the Eskimo

ChuckTritz

Hi Tom,
    I haven’t fished out of one of the hub or tent style shelters but I have heard things about em. I think it’s gonna be your best bet if the family is going to be fishing together, but they can be a pain in the wind. Which brings me to my next point. If it’s not windy I usually don’t use my shelter unless temps are really frigid. If I were you I would purchase the one with Cabelas name on it and give it a shot. If you don’t like it you can always take it back and I pick it up outta the bargain cave (I’m in Omaha). I can’t say enough about the importance of a gas auger especially if you are going to be using electronics. You will be moving until you find fish and with 20″ of ice it can take a while with a hand auger. I actually know of a used jiffy 30 for $125 bucks in Grand Island if you are interested. Rebuilt last year, new gears, clutch, seals and bearings. As far as flashers go I would say Marcum just from my experience. I use a lx3-tc and fish between 5′ and 30′ all winter and it works great for me. If you want I know people that have vex’s and humminbird flashers and we could meet up some time and you could check out all three on the ice. Both lx3’s I own were bought used because I couldn’t pass up the prices. Both work great, but I would say try it out before you buy used as I have heard some horror stories. I think James had some lightly used flashers for sale on here from last seasons shows. I bet he’d give you a guarantee that they work. Also If you ever need a friend to pop some holes with on your ponds give me a shout!

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Welcome to IDO Pond Boss

Have you thought of the Fish Trap Denali as an option for the whole family? Not sure how many are in the family but that would be great for up to four I would think.

Fish Trap Denali IV

I picked up a Marcum LX-5 last year and it has been a great tool for me. My buddy has a vex and he is jealuos of my LX-5. Adjustable zoom and super fine line are nice features.

Good luck this year and hope to see some reports from the ponds

chomps
    Sioux City IA

if you have a good cordless drill, you might want to look into an adaptor, given the fact you mainly panfish, you can get by with a 6 or 7 inch hole. Check out the lazer hand drill. I’d look into a used Vex FL8, or Marcum VX1, get some time with flashers under your belt see what you need in a flasher and go up in a year or two. Make sure you have warm boots and slip on spikes, and nice set of bibs is priceless. Start simple, see what works, enjoy your time on the ice, try to keep your sled as light as possible, you will thank me later.

ChuckTritz

Quote:

Welcome to IDO Pond Boss

Have you thought of the Fish Trap Denali as an option for the whole family? Not sure how many are in the family but that would be great for up to four I would think.

I had one last year and hated it, ended up returning it because the fabric was too tight and both sides wouldn’t touch the ice at the same time. Difficult to store stuff in the bottom also with all four seats in it.

pond boss
    Nebraska

Thank you for the lead. I checked them out online and they look a lot like the Cabelas and Clam – but actually hearing from someone who owns one tips the scales in the Eskimo’s favor. Any issues with wind or ripping seams? Like I mentioned before, the Clam got some very negative feedback for these specific issues….thank you in advance for any additional feedback you have on the Eskimo!

pond boss
    Nebraska

Hi Chuck – great to see another Husker on the forum. Thanks for your feedback – I too rarely use a shelter if I can stand it – but with a 9 and 7 yr old [and a pansy wife who hates the cold] I want to try and get them out on our ponds more often and not wait for the windless, warm days that happen to fall on a weekend! If I can get a tent set up we can simply drive the 10 minutes to our spread after school and get some fishing in!

The price on the Jiffy sounds a lot kinder than the 400 I was considering spending on a new model. I would appreciate an email regarding this if you wouldn’t mind. I’m at [email protected].

Sounds like a guy can’t go wrong with a Marcum 5 – but I have an Aqua View and wonder if that wouldn’t suffice? Yet, I’m a shameless gear bomb addict, and I know I won’t be satisfied until I do have a flasher. I’m interested if someone has a gently used unit for sale. Otherwise I guess I’ll keep my eyes peeled here for some more feedback and see what model I should focus upon. Thanks for the Marcum advice, seems a popular brand on the forum.

I’m always down for meeting fellow fishermen – so let’s definitely keep our calendars open for fishing together! I’m just a stone’s throw away from you.

pond boss
    Nebraska

Thanks for the shout out – and that’s a heckuva nice looking shelter you mentioned. I’m preparing myself for the sticker shock later tonight…

I have heard nothing but 100% positive things about the Marcum LX5 model to which you refer. Honestly it’s all greek to me – I don’t know how to operate these very well let alone the advanced features – but I suppose a day on the ice with the manual would help – or maybe I can get Chuck out here to provide a lesson or two and take home some fresh YP fillets for his family!

pond boss
    Nebraska

Hey Chomps – thanks for the feedback. I do have all the necessary warm weather gear as I’m used to gutting it out in the elements – its all the additional cool stuff I need to keep me warmer and moving faster that I need now!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I have heard nothing but 100% positive things about the Marcum LX5 model to which you refer. Honestly it’s all greek to me – I don’t know how to operate these very well let alone the advanced features

Nothing replaces time on the water when it comes to getting acquainted with new electronics but here’s a video that will get your started with the basics.

PS – my apologies for how fast I’m talking in this clip. As my friends would say… “I’m riding the Dew Train” when I get going that fast. Something to do with too much caffeine… lol

Kelly Jordan
    Fort Atikinson,Wisc

I would second the adapter for a hand auger, i use an 18v battery drill,bring along and extra battery, i can get 20 plus holes on 12in of ice,6in lazer,when fishing pannies.i do have a gas auger (10in)which i use for fishing brown trout on lake mich harbors,need a big hole for those critters . i have a marcum lx3 and love it,took a couple outings to get used to it,i leave camera at home now,unless the kiddos are with me.

pond boss
    Nebraska

Thanks James – top notch website and forum here and excellent presentation on the Marcum. Dang, that was one take…you know your stuff well and sure can remain focused!

Looking forward to sticking around and getting to know you all better.

BTW – any suggestions on the model you’d suggest for my fishing applications? How about any feedback on the tent style shelters or gas augers? If you need to PM or email me I’d sure appreciate your take.

Thanks again!

iceman1985
    Grand Rapids, MI

Welcome to IDO. I joined about three weeks ago to a month and I am hooked. These guys know everything that you need to know about ice fishing and they are more than happy to give you as much advice as you need. Just wanted to say that a gas auger is great but a hand auger will do if you are using a 6 inch size. If your blades are sharp you can usually make it work through out the day. It helps when you have someone to drill with you but you can get by. I am looking into a power auger though seeing as I move a ton when I fish. Good luck!

PS. At least your wife will come out on the ice with you. Mine just laughed at me when I asked her to come last year.

pond boss
    Nebraska

Thought I’d provide an update on the decisions I made thanks to the help of this great forum!

1. Vexilar FL 20 – pricey, but love it.

2. Strikemaster Lazer Mag auger – 4 cycle – starts on second pull every time, and is light as a feather!

3. Went with the Cabelas 6×12 hub shelter – been nothing less than a nightmare. First one I purchased…took it home, set up, there were already two holes where seams were coming unstitched. Kudus to Cableas Customer Service – they sent a truck to retrieve mine and exchanged for another they visually inspected themselves AND knocked $100 off the price. Despite their willingness to make it right, still didn’t prevent this product from falling apart during my next two trips. Had a zipper malfunction, then one of the plastic hubs snapped in half, so the support poles on one end were useless and the tent just collapsed on itself.

Thanks to everyone for your advise and guidance!

Tom

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.