OLD MAN DIES AT BLACK DEER–>FELL THROUGH ICE

• Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

La Crosse man dies after falling through ice

A 75-year-old La Crosse man who fell through the ice on Black Deer Channel Tuesday afternoon has died, according to La Crosse Medical Examiner John Steers.

Leroy F. Lachman of 922 Jackson St. was fishing with Earl Knothe when he fell through, according to La Crosse Sheriff’s Department Sgt. Mark Yehle.

Knothe tried to help Lachman but also fell through. Knothe was able to get out of the water after about 15 minutes and went to a nearby home for help, Yehle said.

Derek Mulhausen responded to Knothe’s request by going into the water and preventing “him from submersing until rescue personnel arrived and removed both from the water,” Yehle said.

Lachman was transported to Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center, Yehle said.

Tribune Article

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Oh man, that is terrible. That has got to be the most terrible way to go to the promiseland. I am not so sure of ice fishing anymore this year.

jld
    Holmen

What a sad story. I have gone threw a few years ago myself there but being 6’3″ and almost 40 years that man’s junior I was able to get out OK. I was carrying my daughter off at the time. Luckily we were close enough to shore that she was able to get to a dock on her own without getting wet. I know how I felt; very scary feeling. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family tonite.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Mine do as well….The news story showed the spot where they fell through…they were only feet away from a dock and shore…but in 8 ft of water…They aren’t sure yet if he drowned or died from the cold…Apparently he went unconscience, and his head was being held out of the water by a citizen trying to help. I feel bad for the family…and like you said..our prayers are w/them

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

It is truly sad. I’ve talked to Leroy many times while fishing up there. I know he will be missed by many.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

My prayers are with him and his family. Thats a hard way to leave this world. I’ve always never felt comfortable on ice. Thanks, Bill

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.