Hey BrianK

• Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

I just bought one of the Marcum 825sd cameras. I have a few questions about how to protect my investment and since you are the resident expert I’ll direct my questions to you.

Since I have never used anything like it in a boat with a trolling motor prop to worry about getting my cable caught in, do you have any suggestions or tips to avoid such an accident? I bet it would wind the camera up pretty quick but I don’t know if I could deploy it as easily if it was wrapped on the trolling motor.

Do you get any scratches on the clear plastic that covers the camera lens? I am worried about rubbing on rocks and… well just about anything that is rough?

Do you have or have you made anything to hold the cable so you are not leaning close to the edge of the boat? Or do you just let the cable rest on the side of your boat?

I was going to send you an email but thought others on IDO might benefit from your answers and experience.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Twister

To protect the clear lens cover just take a page from the cell phone crowd and use inexpensive “cut to fit” lcd protector film if you plan to be banging the camera housing off the rocks from time to time. It won’t effect your image quality in the least. Target sells the stuff for $7 for 3 or 4 good sized sheets.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Exactly what James said and I would recommend it. I scratched a lens on one of my cameras and used polishing compound to take it out. It works, but I would rather prevent it than to have to rub one out. Since then I’ve used the protectors and haven’t had an issue.

One other thing. If I see a rock coming I’ll lift the camera over it since I know it’s not going to go through it. LOL!

Trolling and trolling motors.
    Dude? How fast are you going to be going!? To see what’s going on below the boat you’ll have to be crawling along. Otherwise objects will just flash by. Keep your fishing line at a 45 degree angle and your camera cable at 180!

I would suggest using a bow mount trolling motor obviously.

I let the cable rest on the side of the boat. The only time this is an issue is if I’m recording and there’s a gas motor running or if Jesse has the hickups. The camera does whatever the boat does so a steady hand is best when it comes to recording.

Hope that helps!

YOU are a lucky dog!

Quote:

I just bought one of the Marcum 825sd cameras. I have a few questions about how to protect my investment and since you are the resident expert I’ll direct my questions to you.

Since I have never used anything like it in a boat with a trolling motor prop to worry about getting my cable caught in, do you have any suggestions or tips to avoid such an accident? I bet it would wind the camera up pretty quick but I don’t know if I could deploy it as easily if it was wrapped on the trolling motor.

Do you get any scratches on the clear plastic that covers the camera lens? I am worried about rubbing on rocks and… well just about anything that is rough?

Do you have or have you made anything to hold the cable so you are not leaning close to the edge of the boat? Or do you just let the cable rest on the side of your boat?

I was going to send you an email but thought others on IDO might benefit from your answers and experience.

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Quote:

YOU are a lucky dog!

Nope, I am a sly dog. A lucky dog would have got it for free, I am a sly dog since my wife doesn’t have a clue I bought it. Yet

Thanks a lot, looks like a trip to Wally World is in my future for the lens protectors.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I’m not telling her!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I don’t want to hijack, but I am wondering if we can get a stat on how many posts have been titled, “Hey BK”, and other variations. Maybe a chart showing totals for threads titled, “Hey [ido staff member name]”.

Sorry, continue.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

It works, but I would rather prevent it than to have to rub one out.

Sorry, couldn’t help myself.

Ryan.. you just won me a beer. BK and I were having a discussion behind the scenes that centered on “some of the crazy stuff you type in public” and BK thought nobody else would even notice.

BK… that’ll be one cold Stella, please.

perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.

Quote:

Quote:

It works, but I would rather prevent it than to have to rub one out.

Sorry, couldn’t help myself.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I forgot about Ryan.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.