I hate those 10″holes……..

• Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

I for one do not like the use of a 10″ ice auger. Saturday I stepped in a 10″ hole that had been covered with snow from the day prior. My large boot went completely in the hole. I spent the next 1-2 hours drying my boot, liner and sock in the Otter.

I guess……..I needed to vent a little!

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

That stinks…..Look at the bright side…..at least it was a hole and not thin ice

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

I know what you mean about the 10″ holes. This time of the ice fishing season what worries me more is old spear house holes. Last week I drove on the ice past some spear houses that had just been pulled from the lake. Luckily I knew where they had been and the people had stuck some branches in the old holes but they were not froze over yet and if I hadn’t been paying attention I could have been in trouble. One hole was so big I could have dropped the front end of the truck in the lake. In the late season I always worry about old spear holes when I see little kids on the ice playing outside while Dad is inside the shack fishing. Let’s be careful out there!!

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Those old spear holes can cause a lot of problems. A bigger problem is the ice chuncks that they leave behind. Once people move their house, there is know way to know that the big chunks of ice are OK. We were snowmobiling in Detroit Lakes three weeks ago and one of the guys in out party hit an ice chunk. He was OK, but his sled was done for after it went end over end many times. The snow was so deep and there was no way to tell that this block of ice was under it. I can’t believe that there aren’t rules about leaving them on the ice.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Bobber, I fell in two on Saturday and one on Sunday . The good news is if you wear Bunny Boots it really doesn’t matter. One thing to consider about the 10 inch holes is it is easier to get your leg back out of a 10 compared to a 9. The oneI went into on Sunday was a 9 and I thought I may be stuck for awhile.

That fresh snow had all the old holes covered and it was like a mine field walking on the lake.LOL

kevinneve
    Devils Lake ND area

Good thing you didn’t blow a knee.

Another thing that needs attention are those folks who drill a partial hole to stand their auger in. Those holes may be more dangerous.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.