Square Lake Panfish

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’ve been kinda busy these last few days, so I’m running behind a little. Comanchero15 and I went out to our secret spot on Square Lake on Wednesday.
    Once we arrived at our spot, Steve set up his new (this year) “tip up” ice house. He build a house on a boat trailer so while driving it lays on the trailer. When he’s ready to use it, it tips up on hinges attached to the trailer and it’s ready to go in the time it takes you to cut the holes.
    The only thing it was missing was the internet connection and computer.

Steve set up the underwater camera while I tried to get a jump on him setting my rod. Didn’t work though, Steve pulled the first fish on the day in. In fact, he pulled in the biggest, the most and the first. Which reminds me, I owe him a quarter.

We set up in 6 feet of water with some low weeds on the bottom. The last time I was on this lake, the snake northerns were a pesky problem. We did see a couple with the camera, but they didn’t bother us.
    This is a perfect lake to use a camera on. Very clear. In a dark house I’m guessing you can see bottom in 12 or more feet of water.
    The gills and crappies for the most part gave us a continuous bite. Once in a while we wouldn’t see a fish, but with a turn of the camera, could see the next wave of panfish heading in.

At times the bite was so light, that I could see the wax worm fully in their mouth, but never feel a bite. I know for a fact that a camera put more fish on the dinner table for us.
    My personal limit is 10 gills and crappies in combination, however I ended up with 12 in the bucket. Because the camera made it so interesting, Steve and I practice C&R most of the day. We didn’t keep count, but I know between the two of us we released well over 30 fish.

Thanks for letting me tag along Steve! Fun and interesting as always.
    Cat’en time is coming!

Ps Stillakid, I’m getting better. I didn’t see Steve flinch once…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Here’s Steve with enough panfish meat to last a week…opps wrong picture. This is Steve’s over 40 pound flat head from 2002. It was caught on the Croix…not in Square Lake

Look at that mouth….(on the cat). Photographed, kissed and released.

herb
    6ft under

Nice fish and nice report guys.
    Steve, all you got was a quarter?!!!!!!
    CHEAP!!!!!

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Looks like you guys had some fun out there!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Steve’s a great guy to spend a few hours on the ice with even if they wouldn’t have been biting.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Brian – I noticed you didn’t mention the big one that got away. For the rest of you – Brian had a nice trout on and got it all the way into the hole with its head out of the water and . . . Yep! his line broke. You haven’t had a funny experience like I had watching Brian trying to wrestle this trout into the shack up to his armpit in the hole. Needless to say the fish got away and Brian was soaked. You had to be there. I laughed so hard I almost wet my pants. All in all, it was a great time and we caught a bunch of fish. What a way to spend a beautiful, sunny winter day.
    Thanks for the great time, Brian!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

FYI- I never charge for the side shows…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.