Pool 13 Ice Fishing

• pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

I ventured out today with Dog-fish Boy to Pool 13. We headed over the Sabula bridge and saw no one fishing the backwaters on the Iowa side. We decided to just head back to Miller’s and give it a whirl. We fished the “channel” heading out from the landing. There were about 15 other shacks or buckets scattered around. I talked to just about everyone and no one was doing any good. Everyone said its been slow slow slow. We set up and gave it a whirl. It wasn’t long and we started getting ‘gills. Nothing of any size, but fish none the less. We set up DFB’s new Shappell and set in for a few hours. When the dust settled, we had a dozen or so ‘gills and half as many bass. Of course, all went back. We were laughing and carrying on like brothers do and just had a ball! Since neither of us drink, it was all youthful messing around, or the fumes from the Black Cat heater.

We were checked by an extremely courteous federal warden. He said that it was very slow everywhere, including both Browns’.

We were using colored spikes, and waxworms. Green/white/yellow Marmooskas and plain #16 fly hooks were what brought the few fish we got from beneath the ice. Minnows never brought a nibble.

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

Fished Millers yesterday. I fished from 2pm. until about 7:30pm. Several bass and a bunch of gills, but no size to the gills. Everything shut down at 3:30 or so. Did have a small crappie run at about 6:30. The warden said that it has been slow everywhere. He did have two seperate guys up in Kehough that had some crappies. He said there was no size to them at all.

One bit of warning… When the tug starts serving supper, the aroma down there is incredible. Makes it hard to concentrate.

It was an absolutely beautiful sunset and I had a great time. I stopped at the folks’ and mom had made the kids a huge box of homemade cookies. At least I didn’t come home empty handed!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.