Pool 10 ice fishing

• Gillsjobakken
    Shellsburg, Iowa

Fishing was tough to say the least yesterday. Fished around Prairie Du Chein up to Lansing. Started in Little Missouri and nothing. Not a bite and did not see a fish caught by anyone. Proceeded to another slough and bucketed a few crappies. Best bite (if you can call it that) was between 9 and 10. Saw guys fishing just up from the main Ambro Slough ramp. Saw some crappies caught. Overall slow. We ended up fishing some deeper holes upstream and C/R’d some small walleye and sauger. Again, slow. Fish were just hanging on the bait and bites were few and far between.
    Hope to see things improve, at least a bit, for next weekend’s tournament at Greymore.

Anyone attending? Thoughts?

birdman
    Lancaster, WI

Hey Gills, I was out this weekend too but a little farther south on Pool 10. Saturday we did pretty well in the afternoon and ended up with around 40 crappies between 2 of us. Most fish came on the outside of a weedbed in about 2 to 3 feet of water. Just about all of our fish came on jigs tipped with either “wedgies or shrimpies”, long skinny plastic baits.

We returned to the same place Sunday with vastly different results, I was only able to catch 4 crappies, although my partner was able to land around 10 fish. His secret seemed to be to keep jigging to a minimum. It seemed the fish wanted very little movement. Most fish ranged from around 9 to a little over 11 inches. It seemed the big slabs weren’t cooperating this weekend.

tedpeck
    Genoa Wi

thanks for the report you guys! i was thinking about hitting the River the next couple days. With this fresh snow it looks like time will be better spent coyote/rabbit hunting!

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

tedpeck:

I don’t get to all the threads/posts, but noticed you last week with the coyote thread. Welcome aboard and have always enjoyed your humor amongst the fishing information you have provided in your articles!!!

Mark

dubiceman
    Dubuque, IA

Fished the tournament at gremore both on Saturday and Sunday with different results both days. Saturday was alot better then Sunday, me and a buddie both ended up with our limits of crappies all between 9 and 12 inches along with 15 gills and 3 perch. Went back up Sunday and found the fishing to be alot slower, seemed like the crappies were no where to be found all day. The ones that we did see in the tent all came up and inhaled the jigs, it was awesome watching those big crappies and gills come up and nail it in 4 ft of water . Alot of the gills seemed to be a little more finicky. We ended up keeping 12 crappies and 5 gills. No prizes won but it was a fun two days.

Dubiceman

superdave
    NE IA

Do you know what won the tournament? Was it based off individual fish or a limit?

dubiceman
    Dubuque, IA

Supserdave,

The tournament was based on the biggest fish in each category, they had one for just about everything including carp and bullhead. Not sure what the biggest fish ended up being in each category but when we left on Saturday the biggest crappie was 1.4lbs. and the biggest perch was 1.2lbs. There were tons of people fishing up there on Saturday but not near as many on Sunday.

Dubiceman

tedpeck
    Genoa Wi

thanks Mark–would have replied sooner but it took me several days to figure out that I have to login again after expiring cookies. Don’t understand computers, but can tell you there is something primal about coyote hunting with dogs!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.