leech lake pointers

• jpron

a small herd of us are heading up to leech feb 21,22,23, any pointers? were hoping for perchies in the morn walleye in the pm. jigs, bait, water depth, spots, any thing would be helpful.thanks

ErikOsberg
    Wadena, MN

Jpron,

I don’t have any first hand knowledge, but Matt Grow has been up there a few times this winter, he may be of more assistance. A few others on this site know a lot more than I when it comes to leech, so hopefully they’ll chime in soon.

As just a general rule of thumb, it sounds like the walleye bite has been best in the morning, sun-up-ish. And be ready to move! Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but the EYE’s seem to be a bit more nomadic and spread out on Leech than on other lakes.

As far as perch go, there’s an IDO episode all about perch on Leech. You can find that episode in the viedo section.

Hope this helps, sorry I don’t have better info, and best of luck.

By the way, anyone know when the Pout Festival is? I think it’s the 19th thru the 21st…

Erik Osberg
    218-251-8306

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

this year has been a very “text book” bite on leech. For a leisurely group, Dawn and dusk are walleye times. It does not matter what depths you’re at as long as you’re fishing a breakline at which walleye can ambush baitfish. There really has been no one spot better than the next at those dawn and dusk times from my time on leech.

The perch havn’t gathered up in thier feeding/spawn schools yet so roamers are going to be your target. 30′ flat areas have been good. Otherwise locations that hold fresh water shrimp and craw in 14-20′. The good perch areas are barron with forage rich bottom content such as craw and shrimp.

Eel pout festival is the weekend of the 18th through the 21. I will be on Leech, but not doing much fishing. I do however host a large party on the ice for Eel pout festival. The name of my establishment is the Gerbil Cage. Feel free to come in and say hello. This is an adult event. Hope to see a few of you there!

ErikOsberg
    Wadena, MN

I’m not even gonna ask why it’s called the Gerbil Cage.

Erik Osberg
    218-251-8306

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Quote:

I’m not even gonna ask why it’s called the Gerbil Cage.

Erik Osberg
    218-251-8306

Because we haul in 55 gallon drums of wood chips for the flooring in our 16×40 heated enclosed area.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Quote:

The name of my establishment is the Gerbil Cage. Feel free to come in and say hello. This is an adult event. Hope to see a few of you there!

trphyhuntr
    Pierce/ St. Croix Cty

Hey Jpron, My group was on leech last weekend and everything Matt said is about the same I could tell you,except I will add don’t be afraid to throw out a couple of tip-ups. If your fishing a hump I would jig the hump and set a tip-up a ways away of to the side somewhere something in a different depth range. We use a single hook with a bead usually chartreuse. I hate having all my lines right next to each other. Just a thought. Good luck up there!!

ErikOsberg
    Wadena, MN

Oh, now i get it. 16×40?… heated?… Do you use a big canvas tent? How do you heat it?

Any pictures from years past?

Erik Osberg

218-251-8306

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.