Lake Pepin

• masonbrewer
    Eagan, MN

I was wondering if anyone has any reports regarding the point no point area on Lake Pepin. I didn’t get a chance to get down there this past weekend but I wolod like to try it this coming weekend. I have gotten about 5 chances to fish it this year with some success. Not many fish, but the saugeyes we picked up were some very nice ones with the nicest being 25″. Last time I was able to fish it (1/15) it seemed like the people were spread all over the place and for the most part the reports were all pretty similar. not many fish but if you worked it both morning and evening you could find a few eater sized saugers. Also, I was wondering what the current ice report is. I know how quickly it can change so what you tell me today, will more than likely change by the time I get there at the end of the week. Any information will be helpful. Thanks for you time.

evokabbo

I was thinking of heading down sat. Never fished pepin before any ideas were i should try.

masonbrewer
    Eagan, MN

I would say jsut take county rd 2 in Frontenac to the boat landing. You will see people straight pout and as far north as a mile or so. Just be careful the farther north you go, the worse the ice gets. If you are coming from the Wisconsin side I know a lot of people drive out from Maiden Rock. I just pick the MN side because it is quicker for me to get there. I usually fish in the 20-23′. A couple of the lures I have found success with are jigging raps (blue/silver, orange), stop signs, macho minnow and lindy darters (hooked some nice white bass with these) to name a few. I have pretty much tried everything I brought out on the ice with me. Good luck if you get a chance to try it.

weldon
    Rochester, Mn

I fished Lake Pepin just beyond the marina at Lake City a week ago and had no luck. Many folks out there with similar results. I fished from noon – 3pm in 27 feet of water using wax worms and flat head minnows. Lots of fish showing up at 12′ and 22′ on the depth finder.

Folks with cameras said the walleye were feeding on shad, but apparently very selective. Two fish were pulled in by the whole crew out there… 1 fat perch and a 7″ walleye.

I may attempt this again this weekend, but will bring along some lures to jig this time to attempt to hook a couple.

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

I wouldn’t recommend driving up from Frontenac the ice really varies comming up that way safest bet if you want to fish upstream is to drive on at Maiden Rock and don’t drive to close to the Mn shoreline i’d stay out a 100 yrds or so,i’ve been down all week and never drove any closer than that,the fish seem to be scattered all over one day is ok to good and the next can suck, i’d be fishing before or at daylight the morning bite has been best for me, they musta had a great hatch this spring from the numbers of small ones that we are catching, good luck

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.