Pool 8 Ice fishing

• Wydevjt

Every year a group of us guys take a long weekend and go ice fishing. The only rule is we have to go somewhere we haven’t been before. This year it is Pool 8. Staying near Stoddard. We are going the weekend of Feb. 12th. Any fishing tips? Seems like a place for pan fishing from the forums I’ve been reading. Any tip up fishing for Northern/walleye? How is the ice this in early February?

abe
    La Crosse

I don’t fish much in the stoddard area, you might want to shoot Bret Clark a PM. He fishes that area and can probably provide some tips.

Wydevjt

Thanks. I’ll do that.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Do some research and find where the deep holes are in stoddard. You will find a good crappie bite if you can locate these isolated holes. Some of the fish are 12-14″ slabs if you hit the right bite. Otherwise I’d say drive into La Crosse and hit up some of the area deep holes for the February Crappie bite.

PS- Ice will be in great shape. I’d say there is 18-20″ of ice at Stoddard. A truck went through at the landing last week but you can drive out from the Water’s Edge Motel. With the rain we just got to clear off the snow and the cold temps coming we should be in great shape for the rest of the season.

Wydevjt

thanks Cade.
    The waters edge is where we are staying

earnit

Quote:

thanks Cade.
    The waters edge is where we are staying

Nice place! I spent a night there last month. It was spacious, and very clean! A neat set-up!

wallclimber
    Stoddard WI

we got four northerns on tip up on sat also a nice catch of gills.ask for me when you get in we got some nice maps of the area johnnie

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.