Goby caught on Kegonsa

• tedpeck
    Genoa Wi

Stopped by U Catch Em bait south of Janesville yesterday. Owner Mike McLain showed me little critter he caught on Tuesday fishing L. Kegonsa in Madison chain– A GOBY!!–
    there is no doubt that’s what the little critter was. I saw it. He’s gonna contact DNR. Has anybody else out there caught a goby on the Madison chain??

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Hey Tedpeck,

What the heck is a Goby? Did you spell it wrong perhaps?

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

As God as my witness, should I catch ANYTHING closely resembling that, I will quit fishing. period.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Guess they’ve been around a while…

Here’s a link to a WI fisheries site…
    Round Goby’s invasion

You learn more on this site by accident…than……

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Maybe the Asian carp will eat them all

herb
    6ft under

Looks like another “green carp” invasion to me.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Hey! You will keep those “Green Carp” comments to yourself, if you know what’s good for ya buddy!

herb
    6ft under

Ummmm, ok

tee he

buzzer
    Garnavillo Iowa

Put a hook in gumby it will be the new 2004 hot topwater bait of the year for slop . Does biodegradible count .

carptracker
    Missouri

I don’t know where the Kegonasa chain is, but if it is not near anywhere marked in red on this map http://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/SpFactSheet.asp?speciesID=713
    then that might be a significant jump from where the fish have been found before. If the fish is turned in to the DNR, and it is verified to be a round goby, then please encourage them to report the fish to the USGS at the above link. Note that some sculpins look a lot like round gobies. Round gobies are BAD. I just was at a presentation describing how they have had to institute season including no tournament fishing, even catch and release, on smallmouth in Lake Erie because of the gobies. Seems the little devils love smallmouth eggs, and when you catch a smallie off a nest they move in by the hundreds within just a very few minutes to clean off the nest. Thus, no more fishing for smallies during the nesting season. Before the gobies, a captured and released smallie would usually get back to the nest before anything much happened. But with the density of egg-eating gobies in shallow water in Lake Erie, even a short time off the nest is too long.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.