Boy did I get Schooled on the Stripers !!!

• Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I have watched for several weeks, a hand full of fishermen set up on a deep pit on pool 10. I asked around and found some creditable info on some real nice 2+ pound stripers coming to the hole.

I had to give it a try, so a buddy and I met up pitside and set up over 40′ of water..With the LX-5 set up there were instantly marks all over the flasher. It was had to be in all the areas at once, so I dropped down the Marcum 820 to see what the fish were..Shad was the answer..lots and lots of shad swimming throughout the water column..I ended up finding the stripers located right on the bottom…I had to turn on the light to see them but what a cool sight..It was crystal clear and I could see them coming from 5-10 feet away…

But do you think I could get them to bite I thru everything at them..I had every tackle box I had with me opened and tried a good 18 different types of lures in a variety of colors…NOTHING

I’m sure I will be back to try this again…I have a couple more tips from some of the more knowledgeable fishermen on the ice that day…

Boy did I get Schooled on the Stripers !!! this time

eyestroker

The white bass(I’m assuming you are talking about white bass, lots of people here call them stripers as well) here in NE illinois love a glow diamond jig with at least three spikes dangling from the hook….

whiskeysour
    4 miles from Pool 9

Did you try a large pink ratfink or Purist? I once had them bite a pink depthfinder while trying to find bottom up at Cold Springs.

r._kayle
    Cedar Falls, IA

Dave,
    Wait til you fish it in mid February!!! Hold on tight.

Scott Manning
    northeast iowa

Didnt see you on the ice today, Im sure you could have made the crappies bite, I was out with 007 and Steve.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Quote:

Didnt see you on the ice today, Im sure you could have made the crappies bite, I was out with 007 and Steve.

I took a trip to LaCrosse today…We had our grandaughter for the weekend…Mom and Dad wanted her back already

Scott Manning
    northeast iowa

I bet she would have enjoyed a day on the ice!!

jsprosty
    Soldiers Grove, WI

good seeing you down there Dave. As far as the stripers go, they are just a carp with a tuxido on!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I can’t keep them off the Chubby Darters or the smaller Lindy Darters here on the Croix.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

It was good seeing you out there as well Justin…Maybe Sunday Morning I’ll give it another try !!!

The chubby darters is one bait i did not try they were staring at me from the tackle box and I did not pull them out….I will on Sunday !!

Matt Hall
    Mount Horeb, WI

Hey Dave – A guy from PDC bought a shack from me about a month ago, he’s been chasing the same strippers in that same pit, he said a jiggin rap was the ticket, not sure what size or color though. G-Luck

dylan_w.
    La Crosse, WI

Keep at it they will bite eventually!!!

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

We had some smacking #5 jigging raps on Petenwell last week. I usually catch a lot of them on Rattling Flyer spoons too. I can catch a ton of those things when I don’t want to. Not so sure if that would happen if I tried though.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

You guys are GREAT !!!

I got way more responses to me not being able to catch fish then I ever though I would !!

Thanks for all the tips from your past experiences here and in the PM’s I’m looking forward to getting out again to try my luck at these somewhat not so popular fish in tux’s

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

My best bait for whitebass on Castle Rock was a gold w/ green slender spoon, tipped w/ 2 red spikes.

It looked an awful lot like this spoon. Except this one’s tipped w/ a Crappie.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Quote:

My best bait for whitebass on Castle Rock was a gold w/ green slender spoon, tipped w/ 2 red spikes.

It looked an awful lot like this spoon. Except this one’s tipped w/ a Crappie.

Is that the 1/16oz spoon or the 1/8oz spoon…

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I picked up a pile of 1/16oz and 1/8 oz…The 1/8oz are just to big for this application

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

The 1/16oz is a perfect size for crappies, white bass and yes, I have had good days with the 1/16oz for gills.

I love the way they lay horizontal and flutter on the drop. The thin design of this spoon offers a different type of action than the thicker jigging spoons and is a great addition to anyone’s arsenal.

buzzer
    Garnavillo Iowa

february is defenatly a awesome month for white bass or stripers when they hit in 35 fow and about rip rod out of your hands you know there big when u can’t seem to get them to come up and then the trick is getting them to fit through a 5″ hole lol as far as baits go jigging raps #3 Dave Genz worm n brite colors rite now there a bit finky presentation is everything nice pics blue fleck I found my bait thanks to ur pic I’ve been lookin for that spoon for several years # 1 crappie bait slender spoon never knew who made it till now my tackle box was stolen

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.