ice fishing in January pool 12\13

• jdb
    freeport,IL

Ferry landing was the safest for the family because of the shallow water (break through hazard potential) to the right and over one island to the springs. Pretty popular place but don’t fish in the current next to the island I got skunked . We did better crossing the deep boat marina following the trail past the two houses on stilts over one more island and fishing Fish Trap. Bluegills aplenty on west side in 3.5-4′ of water 2″-8″ off of bottom with a slow presentation of waxies and pink power balls on chartruse\green ice jigs.They seem to hit it either on the way down but mainly when I stopped near bottom. A short 1\4 quick jig a few times then stop seemed to work for my friends. Another gentleman said they were hitting just under the ice at Fish Trap a few days earlier. Rembrants worked for a few crappies for another friend(purple) but I’m to lazy. I like my minnows, but maybe thats why he catches em’ and I don’t. A few 14″ largemouth on tip ups for another friend’s son. and going to see what 8 million dollars worth of dredging and 6 years past has done for Potter’s Marsh. Just off the boat launch at the causeway was not good tuesday but has been in the past. The best entry point for potters marsh is turn right at the fishery in Thompson and go 100yrds. right again on blacktop then look for wooden sign <Mickelsons landing. I drove up today and the place was loaded with chanties.

bigjigger2002
    Pearlcity , Illinois

Hey Jason what kind of ice did you have at the springs and on the way over there.Did you catch any fish? BIGJIGGER2002

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.