Chaining my wheeler for the ice.

• kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Probably some dumb questions, but it’s been years since I’ve put on a set of chains.

1. Should I wire the chain fasteners together(shut) so they don’t inadvertently come unbuckled?
    2. Is there a speed limit per say, don’t want to get going so fast?
    3. I bought a “chain tightener” kit. Ring with 4 springs that reach out to pull the chains tight. Can they be too tight?

Any other Chains1o1 a person should know??

Thanks!

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

I am curious to see the replies to this post. I just bought a set of chains for my 4 wheeler last month. I just put them on like I do on my garden tractor, but the JD is not nearly as fast as my warrior.
    I weaved a bungie through different points on the chains and on the buckle, thinking that would be good enough. And retightened after running them a while.

mikkar
    South Saint Paul, MN

Depending on the Chain type you have. wire the loose chain to the tire chain set after you have attached the chains. The chain tightners wont over tighten just keeps the chains from slipping or sliding off to one side or the other. Speed could do about 15- 20 but that all depends on the conditions you riding on. Just make sure they are tight around the tire and you should be good.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Literally just put mine on tonight. I get them on as tight as I can, then drive it maybe 100 yards, at 20 MPH max, then retighten. I also use a bungee cord on each wheel, keeps them tight, if they should loosen a little more. I don’t go faster than about 40 with them on, not a problem with it.

big G

mikkar
    South Saint Paul, MN

well bungie cord works in a pinch failry well actually used that setup in colorado in the moutains elk hunting this year used 4 cords in stead of the 1 little safer. but after I used tightners defiinatly will be using them over the bungie cords anyday

draggin_bottom

just did mine last nite i let air out of tire put chain on tite pump tire back up. works great this way but make chain straight before you air up also use one bungie on outside Terry

phishirman
    Madison, WI

heavy duty zip ties also work good for keeping things tight

inge66

Hey Kooty when are you picking me up. I live on the way to the lake. The Marcum is fulled charged and I have a case of

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I was just thinking about you last night. Fishing with you that is.

Sunday is a possibility for me if you aren’t working. A few of us are headed for Mille Lacs Friday. If you can get a wheeler and meet us up there, the more the merrier.

inge66

WOW thats scarry. I sent you a pm.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.