whatd i catch?

• salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

I was out of off andersons point messing around fishing blind tonight with all kinds of bait, fatheads, walleye suckers, spikes. on my way off the ice i checked my tip up that had a walleye sucker and never went off and was suprised by a 10 inch creature at the end. it looked like a bullhead with stbby arms and legs and a paddle tail. was that a dogfish? or did i get a really big salamander? it struggled too much on the ice for a pic so i shuffled him/her back down the hole so it wouldnt die.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Lot of different names, but we call it a mud puppy.

-J.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Quote:

I was out of off andersons point messing around fishing blind tonight with all kinds of bait, fatheads, walleye suckers, spikes. on my way off the ice i checked my tip up that had a walleye sucker and never went off and was suprised by a 10 inch creature at the end. it looked like a bullhead with stbby arms and legs and a paddle tail. was that a dogfish? or did i get a really big salamander? it struggled too much on the ice for a pic so i shuffled him/her back down the hole so it wouldnt die.

Theres a good population of them on the Croix

jonny p
    Waskish, MN

I threw mine back right away also…yucka…dang southern MN with its moving water, fish with stingers and creepy little critters all over the place.

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

mud puppy was my next guess, outta curiousity do they get any bigger than 10″?

^by the look of that pic id say yeah they do lol

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Thats a trophy one!
    Rumor has it that BrianK kissed one and it turned into a princess!

adam dungan
    Two Harbors

Quote:

Thats a trophy one!

lol

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

They taste like chicken

jonny p
    Waskish, MN

Quote:

No NO NO you got it all wrong, if you kiss Brain K. HE turns into a princess.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Actually you both have it wrong. Someone kissed a Mud Puppy and it turned into BK. BK’s been trying to turn into a Princess ever since…

Pat Howard
    Sparta Wi

wow mud puppy thru the ice

Wimwuen we may have someone after your “king mud puppy” title

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Quote:

They taste like chicken

Not after BK kisses it, it doesn’t

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

Quote:

wow mud puppy thru the ice

Wimwuen we may have someone after your “king mud puppy” title

How quickly you forget. Remember who just put on a catfish clinic through the ice on Saturday. A mud puppy should be no big deal. If we’re on a body of water with a healthy population, all I have to do is talk about how much I don’t want to catch one, and the vex will light up.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

Thats a trophy one!

No…a princess kissed a Mud Puppy and it turned into Brian K.
    Poor little fella…to bad about his luck.

VSRangerMan
    Chippewa Falls,WI

If your catchin puppys I would say your probably fishin really slooooow & right on bottom. You gotta love all gods creatures.Even if it has a resemblance to BK. Minus the pink hat of course.

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

WOW! that is a trophy elusive green leech. Did you take all the necessary measurements? That will make a fantastic replica!

JonnyMayz
    Hastings,MN

Mud Puppy or ‘Hellbender’ is a large North American aquatic salamander. They do have the ability however, to live on land. As for how BK is related to them maybe he is part of the Genus Necturus? – Cliff Clavin Very common on the Croix come winter Sturgeon fishing excursions in Prescott

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

so do tip ups get setup suspended then instead of straight below? again, ive never ice fished since i was 12 so im a novice.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Quote:

Quote:

Someone owes me a new keyboard! There is soda all over it now!

wicked_1
    Eau Claire WI

I’ve never caught one in my life until last year when I caught 2 in two days. The first on I caught on a tipup in shallow water. It set the flag off and SSSSLLLLLOOOOWWWLLY took line. Imagine our surprise when it hit the surface of the ice running. The next day we had the long rods out and were fishing open water on the Eau Claire River and I caught one on a jig&minnow. The open water one was a couple inches bigger though. I couldn’t believe my luck.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.