Cabelas Underwater Camera? Good/Bad?

• SharkTeam
    Mosinee, WI

I’d like to buy two underwater cameras for gifts this week. I am looking at the Cabela’s 7″ for $139.

Anyone have an opinion or solid experience with the Cabela’s cameras? I’m guessing that the Marcum cams are better, but for my gift budget, this Cabela’s cam would fit well.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

I have used one of these on Upper Red Lake thru the ice in about 10-15FOW. It worked ok, I could see my cell phone that took a 1 bounce down the hole also used it to hook someones rod that went down the hole in their shack. I dont know how well it would work in murky or deep water but served a purpose in the shallow stuff.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

You’ll have to be the one to make that choice.

Marcum 825c VS The Other Camera in 26 fow<<<

The Marcum lights were off the “other camera” lights were on.

Gift Certificates are nice.

Daylight fishing and not too deep…it will serve the owner well…although I’ve heard the reviews on the Cabela’s site are not too positive.

Scott Manning
    northeast iowa

I bought one last year and have had good luck with it.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Welcome to Ido Chasing-eyes!

duckilr
    Mississippi River

I have one…it’s pretty decent on the Miss up to about 8′-10′ depending on the water clarity. I have used it down to about 12′ but it gets hard to see at that depth.

stevenoak

My buddy just got one last week.No question MacCum is a far better camera.But cabelas looked better than the other cameras in that price range.They don’t advertise who makes a lot of the products they sell under ”Cabelas” brand but when I asked who serviced it.He said MarCum,thats who makes them.So they must be the next level down from 380,but at least it has a good company behind it.I have a Aqua-Veiw,a cheap camera is better than no camera.Works ok for checking spots out,but I get tired of watching it very quick.New 825 is my next upgrade,maybe end of year deal somewere or ice show next year.Stay away from panning model they have got a lot of them back.

AverageSportsman
    SE MN

I absolutely reccomend the camera for the money! I have one and I really like it, performs well in most conditions, but not as good as the high dollar cameras. A friend purchased 3 cameras last year ranging in price around 250-450 and took them all back because they were not as good of picture as my Cabelas camera. He now owns a cabelas camera. For my $100 investment I am going to run this one til it dies.

SharkTeam
    Mosinee, WI

Average, Do you have the 7″ black&white non-panning version? Looks like that one is $139 right now. Thanks

ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

Yesterday the Prairie du Chein Cabelas had the panning camera in the bargain cave for 159.00.

Ed

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Be careful of the Bargain Cave panning camera. It is most likely the first version that was prone to leaking. The new panning cam now is called “2”

As far as the 7″ non panning cam. I was able to use a couple of $20 off offers at Cabelas recently and couldn’t pass up getting one for $99

I like the camera, and think it has a better picture than a 5″ aquaview that I previously had.

I fully intended on buying a 380 since it seems to have a better picture, but saving over a hundred dollars was OK by me because I just don’t find myself using it a whole lot in the waters I fish.

One thing I noticed about the Cabelas camera is that it seemed to have an infinite focus, meaning that when I aimed it at some text on the box, I never could get the writing to be in good focus. (if that makes sense).

I have had it out on the water and it worked well though.

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Quote:

although I’ve heard the reviews on the Cabela’s site are not too positive.

4.1 out of 5 with 200 reviews is actually pretty darn good

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

But that’s coming from a guy that uses white rods.

AverageSportsman
    SE MN

Quote:

Average, Do you have the 7″ black&white non-panning version? Looks like that one is $139 right now. Thanks

yup that is the exact unit I have

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Quote:

Quote:

But that’s coming from a guy that uses white rods.

Just giving an honest unbiased opinion, take it or leave it.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I’ve had the 7″ B&W camera for 3 years now, for daytime fishing, it does the job just fine. The nice thing about Cabela’s products is if they ever go bad, you can exchange them no questions asked. This works for me because I live close to the Rogers store. For the price, it’s a good deal.

jeweler
    Wisconsin

I am on my 3rd one. The first one would not work at all in the water. The second one worked if you never moved it more than 2 holes. This one works ok but once the sun goes down good luck trying see anything. Dont get me wrong I still use it and would not fish w/o a camera, I just think that it should work better for what it is. Just my $.02.

SharkTeam
    Mosinee, WI

Just wanted to thanks for the good feedback and opinions. I’ve done a little more research myself and I’m headed to the Big C in the morning to pick up 2 of them. I’ll report back when my guys have had a chance to use them.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.