Flasher Demonstrations?

• FlightBob
    East Central MN

I was wondering if anyone had heard of a flasher demonstration that took place last year at Lake Minnetonka. If I remember correctly there were reps from the three big flasher manufacturers. Does anyone know when/if this blessed event is happening again? Any info would be great. Thanks

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I don’t think there are any plans to do any more More Power events this winter. Or at least I’ve not heard of anything on this.

The next best thing would be to go to the St. Paul Sport Show and visit all three booths although you will have to wade through the sales pitch and performance claims versus actually getting to see them side by side out on the ice with your own eyes.

FlightBob
    East Central MN

Thanks James. Do you know if they have any deals there or if everything is full price? I know what kind of flasher I want but I have some time till the hard water is back so I can be patient.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Bob:

There are definitely deals to be had at the ice-show esp. in the electronics arena; a segment of most fishing retailer’s inventory that rarely dips into sale-price territory.

After attending the ice show many times in the past two decades, if I were shopping for a flasher, I’d use a two-pronged approach. First, go to each flasher mfr.’s booth (not retail locations) and see what they have to say about their units. Really pick their brains. With some practice and savvy, you’ll be able to decipher pitch vs. feature and figure out for sure what you want. Even if you’re mind is fairly made up, there’s few other opportunities to get so much information and opinions on a flasher.

Next, go to a retailer like Thorne Bros. and get their opinion. They’ve got incentive to sell everything rather than pigeon-hole you into a certain brand, and can help you sort out some of the terminology. In the end, buy what you’re happy with from who you’re happy with. Remember that a local place like Thorne will be much easier to return to for advice on how to best use your new equipment, or exchange for another one if you’re not satisfied.

If you’re like me, doing that extra work/research makes you more confident in your purchase, less-likely to suffer buyers-remorse, and more likely to dive-in head-first in learning how to use these tools to the best of their potential.

Joel

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Great advice.

Another money saving approach, especially if you are already set on the unit you are buying.

Purchase the unit from a retailer located out of state. Like JollyAnne You avoid Mn sales tax which can add up in a hurry. Some of the retailers at the show are based out of state and can write up the sale at the show and ship the unit at a later date. Or ask the Mn retailers to cut the price to match the compettion.

Good Luck,

-J.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

Great advice.

Another money saving approach, especially if you are already set on the unit you are buying.

Purchase the unit from a retailer located out of state. Like JollyAnne You avoid Mn sales tax which can add up in a hurry. Some of the retailers at the show are based out of state and can write up the sale at the show and ship the unit at a later date. Or ask the Mn retailers to cut the price to match the compettion.

Good Luck,

-J.

Didn’t even think of that Jon, good stuff! Sales tax can be up-there for a $4-500 flasher.

Joel

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

There is an extra city tax added to purchases in the St Paul. (Total tax is 7.625%)

-J.

FlightBob
    East Central MN

Thanks all for the tips. I will wait till the show and see what they have to offer. I just cam across a special package on the Vexilar website. A 50th anniversary FL-20. It has a bunch of gizmos and gadgets. Anyone have an input. Worth the extra $?

travp
    Blaine , Mn

Quote:

Thanks all for the tips. I will wait till the show and see what they have to offer. I just cam across a special package on the Vexilar website. A 50th anniversary FL-20. It has a bunch of gizmos and gadgets. Anyone have an input. Worth the extra $?

IMO definately not worth the extra money. When I had my FL20 I mounted it on a bluebox. I guess it all depends on the style of fishing you do though.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

I’m biased in this opinion, but the FL-20 doesn’t hold a candle to Marcum’s technology, with the Marcum being far less in price. Add the other 50th anniversary FL-20 “enhancements” and it’s really not worth the hefty price tag IMHO.

Joel

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Tell you what,….swing by the MarCum booth at the st Paul ice Show on Saturday or Sunday, get a hold of me. Every year at the show I’m shocked to hear what one of the retailers is selling an LX5 for.

Well atleast come by and say hi

Fishin Guru

So, I’m on the market for a new LX5 and I don’t see ice anytime in the near future, would I get a better deal at the ice show or just waiting for a sale at a retailer?

I have a $20 off gift card from GM but the last day I can use it is Nov 24th, I was thinking about using that and getting one but if I can wait and get a better deal I’d definitely do that.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Sounds like you’re Gambling. Take that $20 and buy something you need anyway; like batteries or camo toilet paper, new hat or gloves.

Nothing is for certain at the ice show. Its definately worth your time to swing in if you’re looking for some big ticket items like Flashers, augers, houses and LakeMaster chips.

One year a rumor got started that one retailer was selling VX-1’s for $250. Next thing you know the next retailer drops his price to $220 this went on until vx-1 flashers were selling for $180. The smart people caught the mistake and bought 3 at a time

You just never know, at the ice show

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Right-on Matt. Mr. Grow knows what he’s talking about. Esp. if you were planning on more than one big ticket item, you can certainly wheel and deal. The more you’re willing to purchase there, the more they’re willing to work with you on price.

Joel

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Right-on Matt. Mr. Grow knows what he’s talking about. Esp. if you were planning on more than one big ticket item, you can certainly wheel and deal. The more you’re willing to purchase there, the more they’re willing to work with you on price.

Joel

Particularly during the last couple hours of the show on sunday. Nobody wants to cart inventory back out of the show. The risk is waiting too long and find most retailers have run out of the item you’re looking for. Then things swing back in the other direction and you’ll lose your bargaining power if a vendor knows they’re the only remaining source for a hot product.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.