Pool 10, 1-10

• birdman
    Lancaster, WI

The bite at one of my favorite backwaters has steadily gotten slower this last week. Today we searched for where the fish might have went. Out side the backwater there was a cut with mild current bordered by a pad field. We started in this cut next to the pads(1 to 3ft of water) with no success. We then proceeded to drill holes out from the pads in 4 to 6 feet of water. Immediately we started catching fish after fish after fish after fish. Almost all fish were bluegills ranging from 6 to 9 inches. We did manage to catch a couple of crappies around 11 inches long and a nice perch. As far as jigs I don’t think it really mattered today, everything we tried caught fish. Most fish were within two feet of the bottom.

BassBull1
    Prairie du Chien,WI

Say Birdman sounds like you had a great day on pool 10.Though you must of did a lot of looking to find that kind of water.This upper pool is getting real skinny right now.Well good luck and hope to run into you soon.Steve.

dbqbass1
    Dubuque, Iowa

Sounds like you had a great day, too. Glad to see some posts from pool 10. I spent Saturday on a small county lake and had the same type of action. Big bluegills in 8-10 feet of water off the weedy points. Sunday I was back on the river on pool 11 around Glenn Hollow. Not much action–sky was too bright I think.

superdave
    NE IA

Any reports from the weekend? I was out on saturday afternoon, did ok on the gills. Had to sort but kept about 15 nice ones. Haven’t heard from ya guys in awhile, just making sure your not sittng on a hot bite.

dbqbass1
    Dubuque, Iowa

No, I didn’t make it out this weekend. Talked to a couple guys who were on pool 11 last week, Friday. Said action around FishTrap and Keough was considerably slower, but still there.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Hey Dave ?

Are you coming up for the Blue Fleck Open ?

buzzer
    Garnavillo Iowa

I did well on the crappies on Friday color wasnt important but jig style was very important crappies were a 1 inch to 3 inches below the Ice the gills werent very active would only hit on a slow movement to no movement at all were only biting on the bottom but the gills that we were catching were good size but not many in numbers 7 to 8 inch unofficle. It was pretty cold out even for a fluffy guy like myself with insulation lol most of the crappies were 9 to 10 inches had to work a little bit for them I saw one nice crappie that was around 12 inches only big slabber i saw caught we released all the fish we caught

superdave
    NE IA

Can’t make the blue fleck open, got family obligations on saturday, (atleast fishings involved). Maybe we could get out and play on sunday?

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I’ll be involved in other obligations on Sunday…We need to pin this thing down…i’m beginning to get a complex

dubiceman
    Dubuque, IA

Fished up by Praire on Friday and Saturday and did well both days on the crappies. Fished friday from 2-5 and kept 20 crappies that I caught within an hour, ranged from 9-12in. Went back up Saturday with 3 other buddies and we all managed to bring home our limit of crappies, ranged from 9-13in. and a couple ring perch. Caught all of the fish on rock a roos and little mics. Is there a fishing tourney up at praire one of these weekends or not? Gonna head back up that way again Friday and try my luck.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

My boss is the only other person i know that calls perch… “Ringed Perch”, and he is from IA as well. Is that common for IA??
    He’s also mentioned that Sheephead are called perch too? for you IA boys, is that the case?

I find it interesting how different areas of the country call things by different names…

Just curious

dubiceman
    Dubuque, IA

Yep us iowans call perch “ring perch”,some people also call sheephead “perch” also but for the most part its ring perch and sheephead.Guess thats what living in iowa does to ya

juggs
    The biggest nightcrawler bed in all of Minneapolis

I’m from IA and I never heard the ring thing. I call sheepshead a lot of things, but not perch. Some perch anglers might take offense to that.

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

I’m with juggs. I have lived in Iowa all my life and have never heard a perch called a ring perch or a sheepshead called a perch.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

I’ve heard both. The Sheepshead being called a “white perch” is pretty common in the Southern pools (Davenport south). Ring perch seems to be pretty common in the NE quadrant.

herb
    6ft under

When I first moved to S.E. Ia. 30 years ago, everyone talked about perch. I thought man, this is heaven. Then I found out they were talking of the sheeps. Silly me! I still call the ring perch, ring perch just so people know which species I’m taking about. It can be very confusing for me when I go back to the home area and converse with the northerners and try to remember the terms they use.

juggs
    The biggest nightcrawler bed in all of Minneapolis

Rule number one when fishing in unfamiliar territory: get acquainted with the nicknames. I know in some parts they call crappie, bass. Speckled bass, calico bass. Just like the perch thing.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

I believe in the southern states they call a crappie a speckled perch.

Gator Hunter

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.