Amery, WI area

• coot
    North Central Wisconsin

If you’re interested or heading up towards Amery to do a little ice fishing, I posted a report (with the help of Gen’s Bait & Sport Shop) for that area over on the Wisconsin Lakes General section of the message board.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I do! I do….how do you get to the fish side of the lake from Hudson?

coot
    North Central Wisconsin

Hey Brian – you got mail!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Thanks Coot! I got the waxes out of the frig and under the wifes pillow right now…
    I hope to be there by noon… whew…after reading those directions…it would have been easier to just put “can’t get here from there”!

Thanks again and I’ll see if I can get frying pan pictures to post!

Pax
    Woodville, WI

Maybe I’m dumb but I can’t find the Old Wisconsin Lakes Forum anymore. Help Please????

coot
    North Central Wisconsin

Have you found it yet Pax? If not, go to the top of the message forum page or the top of the entrance page. Up near the top left hand side of the page you will see an option that says click here for In-Depth lake info. Click on that & then scroll down, you should find the Wisconsin Lakes General message forum. Hope this helps.

perchy
    Owatonna, MN

Two weeks ago we fished a small lake about 2 miles West of Gen’s Bait shop, do not know the real name of it, we call it ‘Goulden Pond’, after some friends that live there. Caught some nice northerns and crappies. I am itching to fish Wapogasset Lake, where do I go for the walleyes? What other lakes do you recommend in the area? Is Clear Lake good in the winter?

Scott

coot
    North Central Wisconsin

For the walleyes, the best thing I can tell you is to call Gen’s Bait 1-888-USE-BAIT. I have never fished for ‘eyes on Wapo myself. Maybe there are some other members out there that know 1st hand and could offer some insights. I have had some luck with the crappies in previous years on Bear Trap. Lately I have been fishing Lower Turtle for panfish and keep hearing good reports from Upper Turtle. I hope to get out at least once this weekend. Not sure yet where. Have never fished Clear.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I talked with a lady that lives on Lower Turtle, she said they were getting walleyes, but they quit after 11 a.m.

Coot – I forgot the directions at home, but I remember who you said to ask. I stopped a Gen’s bait…she didn’t know how to get to the landing, but the folks at a gas station got me real close…well same state anyway. Boy those GPS handhelds really work nice when your lost!

I thought I would get to the lake early…but it was about 1 pm by the time I was set up. Fished until 4. If you fished the bottom the perch kept you busy…I managed about 6 keeper bluegills, just a few small ones by 3:30. Then the light switch came on. Looked like the ol Vexilar was on drugs…as fast as I could get the waxie to the bottom, I felt a nude on the rod and up came another one. 12 keepers in all. This was going on at 4 when I had to leave…which was really hard to do!
    One thing I did learn is to have another waxie ready to go when you brought up a sunnie. I found this easiest to do by placing on or two between your lips…when a fish came up – off came the fish… on the hook the waxie went and down the hole.
    Two things to watch out for here…don’t start talking to yourself…with the waxies in mouth…unless you have dark beer along. (Gator taught me this) and never spit a waxie on the top of a heater in a closed flip up…I tought myself this…

Great report Coot! They were exactly as you said they were. I was surpise at how light of a bite they had…but I haven’t been ice fishing bluegills for a few years. Thanks alot. I’m taking my wife on Saturday…she’s getting the itch to show me up…again…
    I heard we shouldn’t post stringer pictures (my words) so I won’t…..

coot
    North Central Wisconsin

Those look pretty tasty Brian! Glad to hear you had a good time. Did you get any crappies? They seemed to turn on a little later, more towards dark. I don’t know for sure what I am gonna do yet saturday. Maybe Sportsmen Show, maybe try a new lake, or maybe Lower Turtle. Might see you there on Sat. If I’m there, I will have a purple Otter Magnum Lodge & a Honda Rancher ATV.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I wanted to stay later…but work calls. Not one crappie. I’ll keep my eye out for you Saturday.
    Black Trailblazer with a wood trailer. I’ll be the guy standing outside a black flip up…’cause the wifes on the inside!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.