SNOW COVER

• NOEL CANTU
    NE IOWA

JUST WONDERING WHAT EFFECT SNOW COVER WILL HAVE ON THE FISH… WILL THE STILL BITE OR WILL THEY HAVE LOCKJAW??
    WHAT DO YOU THINK???

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

I have always had my absolute best days of ice fishing during a snowstorm. Makes driving home a lot more fun though

I’ve always thought cooling and warming trends have more effect on the fish in the winter than snow cover does.

NOEL CANTU
    NE IOWA

THANKS FOR THE REPLY… IF THE STORM MATERIALIZES TOMORROW I MAY BE ABLE TO CHECKOUT YOUR THEORY. IN ANY CASE I WILL BE ON THE HARD WATER… FISHING HAS BEEN VERY SLOW HERE ON THE RIVER – MAYBE WITH SOME COLD WEATHER THINGS WILL PICK UP…
    TIGHT LINES…

BassBull1
    Prairie du Chien,WI

I think you will see a drop in activity when the snow cover has been on for a while.Oxygen content in the water drops and the fish naturally shut down for survival reasons.Plus if the ice gets thicker at the same time it adds to the problem.That is why most people that ice fish a lot say first ice and last ice are the best times to get good action.But there is a way to beat that.Fish buy all those spots that a small spring along the edges of the lakes our ponds you fish,most of the fish will move toward this kind of winter relief. Sometimes you can really find them stacked all in a very small spot!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.