bloody bass&gills

• joeyno5
    Rochester MN.

I was in the New Albin area today and noticed a large number of dead fish under the ice. The fish I caught were very good sized but missing body parts. One bluegill was 9 1/2 in and most of his tail was detiorated, his fins were bloody but really seamed to fight. I have noticed this late in the year(late Jan) when the ice is really thick and there is low oxygen, but there was only 2-4 inches of ice. In the pigpen slough area was way worse than the Hayshore area. I got 2 bass on the ice at hayshore that seemed healthy, had several line busters and they are smashing waxies. In the Hayshore area I only noticed large dead Bass,no gills or crappies. Does anyone know what is going on here? tight lines #5

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I have not noticed the bloody fish, but can relate to the large number of dead fish in the ice. I fish Lake Onalaska, and everywhere you look there is dead fish. The fish are also very hard to find this year. They are not in their usual spots and when you do find a few, they will not bite. It has been a real challenge this year.

BassBull1
    Prairie du Chien,WI

I’ve noticed this in a lot of areas up and down the river also.I’m sure it’s from being over stressed .I think with the low water a lot of the over wintering areas don’t have the water level that the fish need to survive.Their could be one heck of a winter kill if we get a lot of snow and ice.The one good thing is we are into the winter pretty good all ready and on a possitve note we can hope for a early Jan. thaw !!!!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I have seen this in Lake Isabel in Hastings as well. We should ask the DNR.
    Tuck

joeyno5
    Rochester MN.

I did walk back to my truck after I realized I had a diposible camera in my glove box. I took a picture of a small bass with these bloody fins. I will get them developed and posted if shown in good enough detail. I would like to hear the response of the DNR or a biologist as to what could be happening?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.