Jimmy Rigs

• zoomer
    Twin Cities

I have been using something called a Jimmy Rig for several years now. I have purchased them at several bait stores in the Twin Cities area. For those of you that have not seen them they are a rig with a red bead at the top and two sets of treble hooks dangling down. They are very effective on pike when used with a shiner. My concern is that in reading the regs this evening they state “a treble hook when not a part of an artificial lure, is considered three hooks and not legal.” This rig has not one but two treble hooks dangling from one line. Is it legal or not? If not why have I found them for sale in not one but two different bait stores. A little help please.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

This rig is known as a quick strike rig. It should have a small spinner blade on it. The spinner blade makes it an artificial lure therefore it is legal as only one line.

Gator Hunter

mwchiefs
    Red Wing, MN

Actually, the Jimmy rig is something altogether different than a Quick-Strike rig. The trebles on a Jimmy rig are considered to be on two separate leaders, with the leaders being joined at the opposite end of the trebles. The Quick-Strike has both trebles in-line on the same leader. I’ve used the Jimmy rigs before and was wondering the same thing myself, so I asked a CO, and he said they were legal. Hope this helps.

Mark

zoomer
    Twin Cities

Thanks, I am going out this morning and it is very comforting knowing that I am legal. Your quick replies are appreciated
    Zoomer

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.