eurolarva-colored maggies

• herb
    6ft under

Is anyone using this bait-have you in the past? What do you think of them? And where from might I order some? I live on the southern fringe of ice country so choices of baits and equipment is very hard to come by.

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

I second that the are the best bait there are for panfish..i use 2 or 3 on a teardrop or else if im usin a swed. piple i add i to each hook on the treble. Does anyone know how these things are made..are they just small waxxies that are done the same way those nitro crawlers are done…

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Herb, there are a bunch of shops here in NE Iowa that carry them, Marion live bait has them but I can’t remember right now what they cost.

If anyone can say 100% that it’s legal to send them in the mail, I could shoot some down your way. I suspect they wouldn’t die in a one day trip if it’s not cold enough to freeze them.

herb
    6ft under

John, yes you can mail them. But I believe they have to be marked “perishables”. If you like, send them express and they’ll get here pronto, unless of course, the mail from your area goes to s.e. Ia. by way of Alaska or Hawaii. Been know to happen I’ve been told.
    The maggies are just that- maggots! The colors come from the food coloring in the meat that the blow flies lay their eggs in and the maggots feed on.
    Anyone up for lunch!!!!!!
    If a person wanted to spend the time, he could grow his own I guess. I just don’t think my egg blowing abilities are what they used to be.
    thanks guys

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

CR is a main processing center for NE Iowa, so if I’m mailing anywhere in that part of the state it should get there overnight. SE Iowa may have to go through Des Moines or Davenport, I can look into it and find out for sure.

PM me if you want to try to work something out.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Bring some to the GTG and I’ll pay you for them..

thanks !!

herb
    6ft under

Who?
    Bring what?

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Dead chickens are injected with color enzymes. Over time the chickens develop maggots. They are then harvested from the chickens. They must be kept in the refrigerator. Do not freeze them or let them get warm. Maggies were once produced here in Minnesota. Its too labor intensive and they all come from Europe now.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

I just used them this past weekend on Prior lake. Well, I caught about 80 gills. 5 crappies. 2 bass. 6 or 7 perch.

All on these colored grubs. In my opionion, they are great. I used them on a pink/white “Ratso”. That was the only line that got attention. My minnow and little red jig came up empty…….

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Derek, Does that mean Gary Snyder is not involved with the colored waxies this year? Thanks, Bill

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Not sure who that is or what colored waxies are? Are they new?

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Gary Snyder is the guy who owns Jig A Whopper and also had the colored ”glow” waxies on the market last year for ice fishing that was the hottest ice fishing bait on the market last year. Alot of hipe about this last year. Thanks, Bill

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Bill I thought Gary sold Jig-a -whopper a while back and now has Big Dog or Bad Dog Lures or something like that. Am I wrong ?

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

O yes, I saw those. Those are different from colored maggots. Waxies come from beehives. I think they are feed something after they are harvested?

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Yes Gary sold it and has Bad Dog Lures and Redneck Tech Lures AND also bought back Jig A Whopper a few years back too. Hes a busy guy with his hands in alot of fishing industry businesses. Thanks, Bill

hof
    Rochester, MN

I recently inquired about the glow waxies and was told that as of right now they are not available. Not sure if they will become available this year? Did anyone ever try them and like them?

Good Fishing,
    Mike

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Here’s the deal. I called Marion Live Bait this morning and they said that a tub is 1000, and they also sell by the dozen. She thought that a tub ran just over $20. I’m sure they would be willing to split it any way that you asked.

Their concern with mailing them was having them freeze and die in transit. While it’s supposed to be nice for the next couple of days, overnight temps are probably plenty cold to kill them off if they sat on the dock at the post office or on someone’s porch long enough. They said that if someone was willing to take the risk, they would drop them in the mail for them; their number is 377-0557. Now that I’m typing this, I can’t recall if they take credit cards or not; if they do not, I’m sure that something can be arranged and if not I can probably do some running around town and ship them off.

I’ll plan on bringing a bunch(?) to the get together, if someone can give me an idea of how many we think we’ll need. I fully expect that Ecnook will have us on fish so hot-to-trot that a couple dozen/hour/angler will be required

Although MLB is the best bait store in NE Iowa as far as I’m concerned, I would mention that if Mike at Hooked on Fishing can do a deal like this, he is a site supporter and it helps us all if you send your business his way. Mike, what do you think?

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I’ll take 500 !!

Want me to send you a check ?

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

MLB said there were about a 1000 in a tub. I’ll plan on bringing a tub to Prarie the 17th. Ecnook has dibs on half, I think Herb wants the other half. If there’s sufficient interest, I can bring a second tub, but don’t really want to get stuck with 900 waxies so if anyone else wants to buy a bunch give me a holler before the 5th or so and I’ll call in a second tub.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Vados Bait guarantees live delivery. 1000 is $9.50

herb
    6ft under

Thanks Derek. Might give them a call if I be needing some sooner than planned. Have another option or two to work on first, and I’d rather keep the ‘mom and pop’ buisiness going if I can.

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

Just a heads up…

I ordered 2,000 from Vados last Saturday and received them today (I’m in NW IL). Great looking product! She emailed me and said that they were shipped on Monday. I suppose because of the holiday, I received them a day or two later than normal.

Come on bitter cold!!!!!!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.