Suggestions on a Portable shack Heater

• haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

I will be getting a Frabill XLT 2 man shack soon and I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions as to the type of heater you like for your portable shack and why.
    Thanks

wing_nutt3

The Mr Heaters are always nice , they may get a little to hot in the small portables I have found. They do make a small sunflower style that I also use when its a bit warmer out, but if its cold that just does not cut it. Mr Heater also makes an awesome newer heater that has an auto carbon monoxide detector so it is suppose to shut off if noticed. I really don’t know if that works, but the size is just right and it puts out the heat well. It also runs of the single 2-3 dollar cans of propane. so you are not lugging around that big can.
    Tim

bam_bam
    Badger, MN- not too far from the big pond!

I have one of those ‘buddy’ heaters made my mr heater…it puts out about 9,000 btu, and runs off of the little bottles, and they are really nice…quite, and very portable…that’s about the best I know of

marcus

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

I’ve got a fish trap about the same size as the one you’re talking about and my Mr Heater is plenty. I have the 9000-14000 BTU model, and it will run the better part of a day on a single one pound tank.

I’ve been out in honest to goodness single digits sitting in that trap with my parka and gloves under my seat and had to turn it off because it was too warm in there. One of the buddy heaters would probably do the trick, but I’d rather have too much heat than too little.

o.m.f.t.
    Rochester Minn

I own a lil Buddy by mr. Heater and love it. Plenty of heat and real quite. You can here the fish coming LOL Have been very happy with it. Jim Good Luck

Pax
    Woodville, WI

I’ve got the Fish Trap Voyager (3 man) and all I ever need is the single sunflower in there. Wish they put a heat shield on the back of it though. Don’t need gloves or a hat when that thing is running. Uses small propane bottles.

StaleMackrel

Hi, I have had a Heco for 7 years. I mainly fish the backwaters for pan fish. My Heco is a low profile two(really one man) portable. I have NOT used a heater except for the first few time I have been using it. I really do not think you need a heater. I usually take my coat off when I am in it.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

The Buddy heaters have the advantge that they are very stable and work well in your boat.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Need to share a story/experience that happended to me this weekend. I will also make a post on it so all can see.

On Saturday night, I was fishing for walleyes on Prior Lake.

I had my Mr. Heater (the type that holds 1 pound cylinders, and you can place it up right as a cooker too)

The propane can went empty. I let it cool down, as directed.

I changed the cylinder and it started right up. As it was warming up, I heard a hissing sound. Just at that moment, the can started on fire, where it screws into the heater.

I’m in a portable suitcase style fish house. Both sides are zippered shut. I’m alone.

I have a ball of fire on my wood floor. In a quick panic, I tried to blow out the fire, but the heater was too hot.

So, in one quick move, I grabbed the heater by the wire frame, unzipped the door, and threw out the ball of fired (propane bottle and heater) unto the ice.

Now, my fire ball is a ticking time-bomb, that is going to explode if I don’t get it out. In my still panic state, I kicked snow on it and it went out. It took about 15 kicks of snow to get it out.

I was alone………..It was probably a good thing, because if there was too of us in the shack, I don’t think it would of gone so well, in a panic state.

My point is this. I’ve never had a problem before. I’m not new around compressed fuel either. I’m an old certified welder.

BE CAREFULL WHEN YOU ARE USING THESE HEATERS.

I only received a small blister on my thumb, and I have not hair on my hand. That is it……………..I got lucky, because I didn’t take necessary precautions, and I know better……..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.