St Croix Ice Rods

• scottsteil
    Central MN

I went and bought myself a couple St. Croix ice rods, in the Avid Series. I gave then a good trial this weekend and I was very impressed. Great action, plenty of backbone and they seem to have a new design to their handle. I am very picky when it comes to ice rods, especially the guides. The St. Croix rods have nice large guides that seem to resist freezing up. I was really impressed.

I have been looking to make a switch in ice rods. I fiugred since I use St. Croix Avids for the open water I should give their Ice rods a try. Very impressive!! I will be getting more.

rushcityranger
    Rush City Mn

Hey Scott….

I have always used the Thorne Bros Custom rods. How do the St. Croix’s compare? I never even knew St. Croix made ice rods!

Cory Frantzick

scottsteil
    Central MN

You can’t go wrong with Thorne Brothers Rods. They are very nice! The thing I liked about the St Croix rods was the over sized “eyes” or guides. They did well preventing freeze up, which is a nice feature. They are well built, as are the Thorne Brothers rods. Either way, you are getting a quality rod.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I agree. I use the Avids for deadsticking and the Thorne Series for finesse fishing.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

scott,
    i have been building my own ice rods using st.croix blanks for the past 4 years. i use over sized guides so you can pop out the ice easy. i hand pick all my blanks out at my supplier. they are fly rod tips that i cut to custom sizes. i like my rods longer than most people do. most of my rods are 28″ to 36″ long. my lake trout rods are 38″ to 44″ long. i have some blanks that are solid fiberglass. i use them as my deadstick rod. they have good backbone and load up nicely. i haven’t built any new ones this year yet but the season is just getting started.
    tom fellegy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.