Mississippi River Pool 10 Ice Fishing

• Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Pool 10 back waters are just getting to the point where you can safely get out on the ice without to much trouble…

2″ or so of snow ice and clear ice is what i delt with today.A bit intimadating at times but the gills (and bass) kept my attention more towards the fish than the ice.

I was out from around noon till 3:30 and I kept 9 gills that were in the 7″ range one topping the 8″ mark.I think i caught in the neiborhood of 30-40 fish that were anywhere from 5″ up to 8″, so it was a good day…

the hot lure for me today was the purple glitter rocker..as seen below..Boy it sure was good to get out on the ice…

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Thanks for the report Dave.I’ll be on Spirit Lake tomorrow.Take care and good luck with those backwater gills.
    Ryan Hale

birdman
    Lancaster, WI

Dave, I had a similiar day too, for early ice it was a little bit slow but a few fish were better than no fish. Most of my fish came off a pink purist and like yours ranged is size from around 7″ to a little over 8. Hopefully those big bull gills will show up this weekend.

tony_apisa
    E. Moline Illinois along the Rock River

Nothing makes my butt pucker like clear ice . The first time out on it is always the toughest for me. There’s something about standing out there and having a crack go right between your legs. I’m sure you have all had that happen. But I still love the hard water fishing. It shouldn’t be much longer down here before I can get out. To all, good luck and stay safe.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Hey Birdman,

are you going to be in my area this weekend at all ?
    If so I’d like to pick up another one of your Pulsator Rods…That was the ticket for hole jumping again…This way if I have two, I won’t have to change jigs, just rods…

birdman
    Lancaster, WI

Ec, this weekend I will be fishing the Bagley area both Saturday and Sunday. I’ll be at Haville on Sunday all afternoon. If I get up to Praire in the next week or two I’ll contact you ahead of time.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Thanks buddy…

I’m working thru Monday and then I’ll be on the ice Tuesday and Wednesday…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.