Very timely insurance question!

• herb
    6ft under

Suppose I’m driving out on a frozen lake and the vehicle I’m driving takes a bath, what type of insurance coverage is needed, if available, for this situation?

orca
    Red Wing, MN

Insure that your rig is old and ugly enough that you dont care.

bassmaster
    SE, MN

You will have to look long and hard to find someone who will cover you for something like that. I haven’t heard of an insurance company that will cover such thing. Not saying they aren’t out there but good luck finding them.

scottsteil
    Central MN

If you are carrying Comprehesive or “other then collision” coverage on your vehicle they should pay. We see it all the time. Most auto policies in the state cover this type of accident. Check your policy to see if you have Comprehesive coverage. If you have full coverage on your vehicle you have comprehesive coverage.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Comprehensive will cover the loss of the vehicle as long as your policy does not specifically exclude it. (You may get the exclusion after your first time to the bottom of the lake!)

However, many policies will not cover the cost of extracting your car/truck from the lake (or have a cap at $500 to $1000) or the cost of the clean up. (Gas, diesel, oil) Those costs can easily run into the thousands.

Jon J.

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

I believe that with the right coverage as stated above, most insurance companies will cover replacing or fixing the vehicle, but not the extraction as Jon stated. However, I also know that most insurance companies will cover you the 1st time this happens, but after that, you’re on your own. I guess they figure the 1st time, you just had a bad day, the 2nd time, well you’re just plain dumb.

Good luck on the ice this winter and let’s hope you don’t need to worry about it!

kevinneve
    Devils Lake ND area

That’s what I have heard to Crossin eyes,

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Where are you planning on going where you can drive, Southern boy?

Question #2: Can I come with?

herb
    6ft under

John, that was a “just in case” question. I’ve driven on many lakes including the Miss. backwaters. Hauled a lot of firewood off the islands north of Lansing when I was a kid and watched as the ice did the “wave” as we rolled along. Scary? yes Taking a chance? yes. But so is leaving my drive way and going to work. Not sure where I want to go with this, so I’ll quit now.
    John, it’ll be up north somewhere I’m sure.

scottsteil
    Central MN

In order for your insurance company not to pay a loss, if you have the coverage, it would have to be specifically excluded. Read your policy and see if you can find where it says they will only pay the first time your vehicle goes through the ice.

You may get cancelled if you have 2 losses in 3 years but they would have a hard time denying the loss if it is not specifically excluded in your policy. As always, I recommend you read your policy.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.