LOTW First Ice Walleye’s

• minigrub
    Winona MN

Steve
    I Will be up at ballards the 18th though 21st, I am getting pumped. we have always gone first week in januray, and have not done well. so we bumped it up a couple of weeks
    I picked up some angel eyes and devils from BfishN. Cant wait to try them out, anyone else have a secret lure I should give a shot, I picked up a fl-8 this year so I am all ears on any expertise on that subject. Getting ready to hammer the hogs.

MiniGrub

sean colter
    Grand Rapids, MN

Minigrub,

LOTW is awesome early. As for tackle, we have always had great luck on any jig with gold. The gold jigs that have red eyes even seem to produce better. One set-up that has been extremely successful for us over the last few years, is having at least one jigging spoon working the waters at all times, then we like to have the closest hole to the jigging spoon set-up with just a green/red plain hook about a foot or two from the bottom. Tip the hook with a minnow. Tough to argue with the Emerald shiners, but those Fathead chubs work great at times.
    It seems that most of the biggest walleyes that we catch come into the jigging spoon but like the natural looks of the minnow on a plain hook.
    One thing that I would really watch for early ….well all year up there is suspended fish. With the FL-8 you will see numbers of fish that are anywhere from 4-10 feet or higher off the bottom, when you see this mark on the FL-8 pull your bait up to them as fast as possible, they are normally big active walleyes.

Well good luck. Where abouts are you planning on fishing? Pine Island area?

minigrub
    Winona MN

Sean
    Thanks for the tip, I will surely watch for those suspending walleyes, I fish out of ballards resort, the report is right now is fishing in 18-22 ft of water, they say they have been doing very well, I am getting excited, and hoping to bring home something to put on the wall, this is my 5th year and maybe its my lucky year. If not I am sure it will be fun. I am new at the flasher thing, but hopefully I’ve learned enough on this website and pm’s that I will be able to enjoy the rewards. I will let you know how we do and what we caught them on.

Thanks again
    MiniGrub

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.