desoto bay

• abster71
    crawford county WI

things were slow on the bay this morning alot of guys fishing punching alot of holes.

DrewH
    s/w WI.

I didn’t want to hear that. I was going to try it Tues. How is Cold Spring bite?

MoreShells
    Eastman

Fished the Bay last Wed. & Thur. Caught 13 perch on Wed with 5 being 11 inch+ and 1 crappie. Also had my line broken twice. Caught 8 perch Thurs but non over 10 inchwes and 1 crappie. Also had line broken again. Very few fishing Cold Spring yesyerday mid morning and even fewer today (Sunday). When we went by Stodard yesterday there were 30 cars or so, today ZERO!!

jwall

Quote:

2fish broke my line

more shells what kind of fish broke your line or is your line just weak

abster71
    crawford county WI

too much!! good 18+ inches

MoreShells
    Eastman

I use 2lb test Stren Magnathin. One fish was a walleye. I saw the white tail as it flashed at the bottom of the hole. The other 2 were too deep to see. I did see a couple of northerns caught on tip ups so it could have been those.

mccrty_ryn
    Holmen, WI

Commercial fisherman that were on the bay only netted 6 walleyes and 1 perch along with 15,000 pounds of carp. The carp started moving in there in good numbers about a month ago. My guess is it was carp breaking your line.

While smaller fish will get through the net, if there was good numbers of of game fish they would have had more in the net.

On the other hand there is now 15,000 pounds of carp no longer in the bay messing things up.

r._kayle
    Cedar Falls, IA

Quote:

Commercial fisherman that were on the bay only netted 6 walleyes and 1 perch along with 15,000 pounds of carp. The carp started moving in there in good numbers about a month ago. My guess is it was carp breaking your line.

While smaller fish will get through the net, if there was good numbers of of game fish they would have had more in the net.

On the other hand there is now 15,000 pounds of carp no longer in the bay messing things up.

When did this netting take place? I have taken the camera each time I have fished up there for the last 6 weeks and haven’t seen a carp on the camera at all. Shad, perch, gills, bass, walleyes, northern, crappies, but no carp.

mccrty_ryn
    Holmen, WI

Yesterday. I have also had my camera in the water down there the carp have been everywhere. People have been snagging and catching them left and right or getting broken lines.

Were you fishing in the upper part of the bay?

Normally the walleyes and the bigger perch move into the lower bay in good numbers this time of year. However with all the carp in there I believe it has hindered the game fish from moving in.

I have seen those carp in both the upper and lower bay. I passed on what I saw and they ran nets yesterday and pulled over 7 tons out of there. I really don’t know how you could have missed them.

r._kayle
    Cedar Falls, IA

I’ve fished the lower part of the bay only. I’ll be honest with you I haven’t seen a carp on the screen, nor have I broke my line on a carp. Seen a couple walleyes at the bottom of the hole and they broke off but no carp.

gwastlick
    Viola

A few weekes ago a friend I was with landed a golden pike of over 25″ on a red purist. Also had a break off on what i would think was another carp.

bosman
    DeSoto, WI

The commercial fishermen you speak of is Jim Boardman. Also owns/operates the Brite Spot in beautiful downtown DeSoto, WI. They did pull the nets on the southend of the Bay this past Monday resulting in a 15,000 lb haul of carp. This sounds like a high number but for these guys it is not. They have no more plans to drag the Bay this year.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

do those things get ground up and put in the school lunches?

r._kayle
    Cedar Falls, IA

McDonald’s fish sandwiches!

herb
    6ft under

Live shipped to New York or Chicago or K.City. Bosman is correct, that is a very short haul for this crew. I remember the days when 150-250,000lbs of buffalo and carp was the goal. The early freeze up there left those fish scattered and they never did congregate in their wintering areas like they normally do.

MoreShells
    Eastman

Somebody was down there ion the far end again this A.M. They were working the same area as Monday. Perch and crappies very slow this A.M. too.

bosman
    DeSoto, WI

I’ll tell ya what did not work. Buckshot, Knuckleballs, Slow Pokes, or Rattlin Raps. Various combinations of each with plastic or live bait. “A” for effort – “F” for result. I simple could not stretch a one of these little males over 12″. Put ole faithful back on (Cecil) with a couple of inches of worm tail dangling behind & caught 9 feet worth of fish in less than an hour.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.