is it still safe

• eye_hunter

will it still be safe to ice fish on saturady, we’ve been having worm melting weather for the past days and its not going to stop? centerville has a tournament going on and I want to attend, but I’m debating it becuase of the warm weather. I’m not used to fishing when its warm and ice is craking all around. sounds horrible.

stuart
    Mn.

If its warm enough to melt the worms,I would stay off the Ice.

I think if the lake had a good ice cover you will be fine to go out sat.

ron_w_basser2
    North Central, MN

I’m not in your area but it’s really gone bad fast up here in central MN in the Brainerd area. All the lakes I looked at this morning had standing water on them. Lots of perm houses on the lakes that had water up past the bottom. Now with the weather cooling back down this week it should freeze things back up. It was also leave a lot of houses frozen in.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

I’m driving out to my spot on friday as I dont think 24″+ is going to melt in three or four days. (I hope not )

jimfish

If the ice is not safe they will not have the tournament .
    Also the ice gets bad close to shore frist I say as long as you can drive on from shore it is safe because where the water is shallow it will warm the ground and melts the ice. Also when the snow melts like this there will be standing water but when the water goes through the ice it will not be safe any more.

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

One of the guys that is putting the tourney on sits real close to me and just told me that there is still over 18″ of ice out there, plus some water on top.

So the tourney is still on.

Good luck

Jami

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

All the lakes from Minneapolis to NE SD have a ton of water on the. It’s gonna get interesting if we get a cold snap anytime soon. Hope the permanent owners are paying attention.

jetdriver
    Hudson WI

Drove through a lot of water today on Bass Lake near Somerset. Lot of places with 4″-6″ of water. I left there yesterday afternoon and it was fine. Went back today and no snow left. Ice was still at least 24″ thick. Kinda cool standing there looking through the ice.

MoreShells
    Eastman

Was out by New Albin today. There was 12+ inches of ice in Minnesota Slough with water on the ice. The water was running down the holes and the ice had not started to honeycomb, still clear ice. They drove trucks yesterday and 4 wheelers today. However there is a creek that empties in right by the boat landing. It was eating the ice out very fast today. Be careful of that spot tomorrow.

tomliver
    Almost North of 8

2 feet of ice on centerville this past sat. I’d think it would still be a very strong base. Good water proof footwear is a must.

Bob Bowman
    MN

BE VERY CAREFUL!!!!!

Last night the water was running down the holes very fast, looked just like a toilet. There were some holes that opened up to about 18-20 inches, more then enought to drop the truck tire in. Use caution….

It will be ATV from here on out for this kid

Good luck and be safe

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.