GLOW JIGS …. Nighttime????

• mountain man
    Coon Valley, WI.

Whats your favorite true “glow in the dark” jig or blade bait for walleye/perch in the channel… and do they significantly increase your night fishing success???

da-z-man

One thing I have always noticed about glow jigs, is the fact the length of glow time sure isn’t very long. I have heard pink or red last the longest, but none seem to last all that long.

jripperger83
    Knoxville, IA

Yeah I agree, If you hit em’ with a strong LED you can get them to last a little longer.

xtabo
    Edmonton, Alberta

Quote:

One thing I have always noticed about glow jigs, is the fact the length of glow time sure isn’t very long. I have heard pink or red last the longest, but none seem to last all that long.

Yah. You really do need to hit them with a flashlight really often. But to be honest with you… pinch off a minnow head so it dispurses that scent. You can watch them on the flasher come in and sit there and watch it, then if you make them chase it slow the normally hit it. Remember, walleye are nocturnal feeders.. glow isnt quite as necessary as you would think. That is just my opinion.

eye_hunter

well for me glow jigs do not work at all, like the others said you constantly have to pull them out to relight them. I beleive that if a fish is going to bite at night they will see your jig no matter what. fish that bite at night will be able to see at night with out help from the glow jig.

mountain man
    Coon Valley, WI.

The reason I asked is first, because I have never used them, but secondly and most important is that it just amazes me that with only a handful of exceptions in 50 years when the sun sets and first darkness comes the bite stops, and when I night fish it seems it is 11:00 PM or later when something bites. The only real exceptions are some full moons.
    So I’m trying to liven up the time from dark to 11pm-3am in the morning when they finally start biting. Any suggestions….. I already use meat in the dark

xtabo
    Edmonton, Alberta

Quote:

The reason I asked is first, because I have never used them, but secondly and most important is that it just amazes me that with only a handful of exceptions in 50 years when the sun sets and first darkness comes the bite stops, and when I night fish it seems it is 11:00 PM or later when something bites. The only real exceptions are some full moons.
    So I’m trying to liven up the time from dark to 11pm-3am in the morning when they finally start biting. Any suggestions….. I already use meat in the dark

Well, I do the night fish for big Walleye and my biggest ‘eyes are caught in the dark. The bite happens an hour before dark and then dies right off and typically folks think that the Walleye bite is over but in fact it isnt. You have to follow the fish through out the day and keep active. I will give you an example of my best trip to date.

Started fishing at 3:00 in the afternoon and we were fishing a 15 foot flat with small rock piles scattered.. the fish would come through where we were every 20 minutes or so until about 5:00 (its dark at 6) we then moved into 8 feet of water and found the fish again until dark then it died down and this is when most folks head home. We stayed and decided to fish until about 4 am. Here is where you have to start searching again to find what depth these fish are cruising.
    We found that only 2 feet shallower were where the ‘eyes were holding and not really cruising anymore but pretty much circling the area. We fished in 6 feet until about 3am and were to tired and headed home. I will also add that they do not want a fast presentation… slow jerks, lifts and bouncing the bottom. Jigs tipped with a small minnow and jigging spoons were the choice but the big fish were hitting a still 6-9″ smelt on a tip up and smashing it. The lake we fish is known for 10lb+ walleye but a good fish is in the 4-6lb range and we did capatilze on a few of that caliber.
    Glow lures I think are a bit over rated… they work to a certain degree but I dont think they will outfish another lure. Just think brite colors and flash… walleye see best in darker water hence them being deeper in the middle of the day and shallow at dark. Ive noticed that having snow cover on the lake will make the water darker than having a clear iced lake.
    At night I normally find the fish in 9-4 feet of water.
    I hope this helps!
    And if nothing is happening in that depth range go out a little further and try to find a little deeper flat.
    Stay mobile! Best of luck bud

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.