jig ?

• smokey420
    kendall,wi.

just wondering when fishing do you use a vertical hanging jig or a horizental hanging jig and why?

beckzl32

i guess it depends if they are less active i try horizontal jig infront of there face because they are probably not coming of the bottm after it but most of the time i use vertical when they’re chasing it because it has better upward action at least that is my opinion

masemlin
    Fountain City, WI

I use both because they present different types of action in the water. Both jigs also present your waxie differntly. Most of the time I find the gills in my area like a horizontal presentation, because I think this is the way larve is rising off the bottm…

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Mostly horizontal for me because the fish seem too want it that way. Some days it doesnt seem to matter which presentation you use. Others its can turn a slow day into good fishing. Just need to give them what they want.

Shrimpos which are one of my favorite baits are vertical but I believe the reason they work so well is do to the tail of the plastic laying horizontal.

ieatmeat

I always use horizontal. I hook the waxworm behind the head and pull on it a little so it will move freely on the hook. When you jig the waxworm will have more action with a horizontal presentation plus it will show up better on your Vexilar. Pictured is a mess of fish caught this way, the style of jig I was using and the actual jig I was using which is all beat up from so many fish biting on it.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

That is a brutal picture of the jig you where using. They sure beat that jig up. looks like a little of the carnage is still on the hook to.

ieatmeat

I coat them with epoxy now so they WON’T get so beat up anymore!!

illiniwalli
    WC Illinois

hey, meat

i like the looks of those jigs. what brand are they?

ieatmeat

I make them. They glow too but this picture is horrible.

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

Looks to me that that jig would hang verticaly in the water. Does it or do you do something to make it stay horizontal.

ieatmeat

I place the knot so the line is perpendicular to the jig. If you pull the line so the knot gets good and tight it will hold the jig horizontal. It’s hard to explain without a picture but the jig sits horizontal while the line goes straight up and down. I also have the point of the hook above the jig if that makes sense.

ieatmeat

The beat up jig in the pictures I posted above still has the string tied to it the way I fish them. The jig is upside down though.

dan-tessmann
    Kieler, Wis

Tie a double improved clinch and then pull it super tight. then after every fish or bite pull the line back towards the hook. this will make the jig hang horizontal. dan

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

Thanks I get what your doing. Wouldn’t it just be easier to put a hook with a 90 degree bend in it or is there a reason you fish this jig this way. I like a loop in my line so the jig moves freely so I never thoght about fishing a vertical jig like a horizontal jig. Thanks for the advice.

ieatmeat

Sure, it would be easier. I just like the profile of a more slender jig such as moon glow. It looks like the Gill Pill is way up there in popularity from reading posts on this website. There’s usually an add for them on here on the left side of the page. You can click on it to see what I’m talking about. They cost $1.00 each. It has a turned up eye so it would be easy to fish horizontally.

I posted a picture of some that I make that have jig hooks in them like you are talking about.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.