Eskimo Quickfish3

• rubendalls

Bought a 3 man Genz Yukon this fall and think it is a great shack. My only problem is that my fishing partner is my 3 year old son and he isn’t much help unloading that thing out of the truck. Most of our fishing is on our farmponds and on smaller lakes around iowa that we walk out on to. I was looking at selling the flipshack and getting a quickfish 3 so everything is that much smaller and lighter. Was just wondering what everyone thought of those before I pulled the trigger on this. Neighbor has a Quickfish 3 and absolutely loves it, his fishing partner is his 3 year old son as well.

poundingeyes
    Chetek, WI

I bought the QF3 to accommodate my kids also. It is very light (like 30 pounds I think) and goes up in seconds…really! The backpack straps on the storage sack make it easy to carry on and it affords plenty of space for me and two others. It also serves as a good base camp for those days when we are hole-hoppin. The kids can get in and warm up when they want to. I also like the fact that it is tall. I can stand up straight in it and I am 6’0″. Now’s a good time to buy as many retailers have shacks on clearance for the season. I got mine for $169 and it may have been my best investment this year. I would like to own a flip style unit at some point (I like the Otter products) but mostly for when I am fishing solo. They can be a little spendy so for the money the QF3 gives you a lot of square footage. I don’t think you would be disappointed…

trubbelke
    Shakopee, MN

Poindingeyes said it all very well. I think that you might have a bit of trouble locating one right now. Fleet Farm had a sale going and they sold out rather quick. I had to order one off ebay for a few bucks more. They are not as mobile as a flipover once your on the ice but they are very nice

raapala
    Eau Claire, WI

Thanks for posting guys! I have one of these on order and was looking to use it with the young guy for the sq footage. He also really liked walking through the floor demo.

bigpike

Sold out nation wide, you might be able to find one here or there but you will probably have to wait till fall. My buddy has one, sold his old one and up graded to this one. It seems to be a nicer shack then the Otter brand.

uffdapete
    Rainy Lake, MN

I made the change from the flip style to a new QF3 but the older dark green version. I opted for the green because of the darker color absorbing the sun’s heat better than the new red model.

Positives are it’s warmer than the flip; more sq. ft. and headroom; about as portable in terms of setup and takedown; with the ice anchors it’s more secure in wind than the flip; light and easy to transport.

Negatives are because of the door design, entry takes some adjustment with large boots; the zipper is really tight when the temp is below 0; more condensation on the interior than the flip; difficult to pack back in to the bag when it’s cold.

I made the switch because of a smaller pickup that doesn’t have quite enough room for a flip in addition to an ATV or snowmachine. You still need a sled to haul the gear but can get by with something smaller.

Would be interested to hear what changes besides color they made on the new ones.

Oh – there are currently 2 available on Ebay.

raapala
    Eau Claire, WI

redrockstore.com does show them available. They have raised their price from 189.95 to 199.95. Use to also have free shipping and now it is 9.95. They know they are about the only ones left I guess.

trubbelke
    Shakopee, MN

uffdapete – the new model has redesigned zippers. I believe the original green model had a vertical zip. The new ones have a half-diamond shape zipper. It is still tight at the ends but if you use both zips it works fine.

bigpike

I know the new one my buddy bought- he did not like the draw string stuff sack it came with so for $23 he bought a zippered sack that they offer.

jay_davis
    Central Iowa

I have a quickfish2 and planned to upgrade to quickfish3 myself…but like others have said they are sold out most everywhere. I’m sure they are available on-line somewhere. The only drawback I’ve experienced (besides the zipper..and that didn’t really bother me because it was only open a little…more like a vent in my mind) was on windy days the windward side tends to collapse. It came with ropes and anchors to alieve that situation, but I have never used them, I just end up sitting against that side so it doesn’t keep collapsing….and it has to be a real windy for this to happen. I wondered if the quickfish3 would be better (stronger) or worse (bigger sides catch more wind and collapse easier) myself. Has anyone else experienced that problem with the quickfish3?

ryno

There is still some to be had at Sportsmans Warehouse!

jay_davis
    Central Iowa

Not at the Ankeny, IA Sportsmans…In fact I went there today and they don’t have much for ice fishing gear. They do have a few flip style shacks, but their power augers and electronics are all gone…and even only a handful of rods. Looks like they are starting to get ready for spring.

metromuskie
    Saint Paul

The once I fished out of a QuickFish III (green model) the windward side collapsed a couple times on us. The first time it scared the poop out of me. I kind of envisioned a fireball if the heater was near that wall. The wind was gradually picking up when we were fishing, otherwise we probably would have used the ropes. I would imagine on a windy day the ropes would fix that problem. The shack was new to the person I was fishing with as well. It seemed like the door was in an awkward spot for hole placement. I am sure after using it a couple times you would figure out the best hole configurations. It took quite a while to get it back in the bag. I think the bag could have about two inches more in diameter. Since it was cold and blowing we just put it 3/4 of the way into the bag and called it good enough. If we drove on the ice it probably would have stayed out of the bag. Setup was fast and easy.
    For the price it is a pretty nice shack.

hib
    Waterloo, IA

I have the Shappell Ice House 6000. When the wind is an issue, I found setting up with one corner to the wind instead of a full wall taking the brunt of it all greatly reduces the chance of a hub collapsing. I have used a long bungee cord attached to a hub loop and hooked to my power auger. Real easy fix once setup

channelcatben
    South Minneapolis

I had my BaseCamp out in the wind yesterday, and once I had the anchor ropes in, it held up really well.

Al Case

I just bought the QuickFish 6 at Fleet Farm in Blaine yesterday for $288. They have a 5 left. The Quick Fish 3 $188 and they had 3 or 4 left, as of when I was there this morning.

tanders
    Rush River, WI

I purchased a quick fish 3 this year. Love it, my otter stays home now. Ive been out on pepin and chequamegon bay with it when the wind has been rippin and have had zero problems!

jay_davis
    Central Iowa

On my 2 man today one of poles pushed through the pocket that holds them…this caused the side to collapse. I was able to make a quick fix by pulling it back through and stuffing a piece of a rag down in the pocket. A permanent fix shouldn’t be too difficult for a tent company to repair…I’m guessing. I still love this shack for set-up and tear down…and overall weight…and I still plan to upgrade to a 3 man.

liar
    Lakeville

I was looking at my 12yr old fishtrap, need to upgrade next year. These sound and look great. What are you guys using for heaters? If the wind is low can you pick it up and move it a 10-20 yards w/o collapsing it? Will I catch more fish if I buy one??

trubbelke
    Shakopee, MN

I had a sunflower on low for three hours last night and never got chilly! Last night was breezy and I had no problem maneuvering the shack. If you were going to move 30 yards, I would probably collapse it and pop it up in your new spot. It is that easy.

poundingeyes
    Chetek, WI

Quote:

I was looking at my 12yr old fishtrap, need to upgrade next year. These sound and look great. What are you guys using for heaters? If the wind is low can you pick it up and move it a 10-20 yards w/o collapsing it? Will I catch more fish if I buy one??

I fished on Saturday and the high was three degrees. There were two of us in the QF 3 and I had a Mr. Heater (single sunflower) on a 20# tank on low and we were fishing in our sweatshirts. These shacks hold the heat well!

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

I also have the older green version with the vertical zipper and I love it. The entry zipper is probably my biggest issue but it is very portable and fits in any vehicle. I run a single sunflower heater that puts out 8-14K BTUs and I have to keep it on low or it gets too warm. Mine seems to go back into bag very well but in the 3rd season now one end of the bag is starting to wear. Plenty of room for me and my 2 boys (12 and 9) and the ice anchors work great.

liar
    Lakeville

Thanks guys
    My boys are 21 & 18. I also have 2 friends who like to ice fish, just not enough to buy all the stuff they need though
    My fishtrap II is just about right with my big butt in there, not to mention, camera and flasher. I won’t be able to afford a sled for a few years and dragging a bigger flipover around doesn’t sound like fun. I’ll be looking for one of these this spring.
    Thanks for the input.

troy_blackstad
    Hastings MN

I just got one from sportsmans wareouse. $189 I think. I like it easy up and down, and quick at that. I asked my cuz. to start my car and before he was in it I had the shack down..

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.