Southern Iowa

• witt
    Iowa City, IA

Went to a public lake in southern Iowa today. Nice day to be out and about again, and confirmed my opinion about Iowans. Met another fisherman who was kind enough to share not only his spot, but his Vexilar (my dad took ours to the farm) and his Otter. Didn’t catch many, but it was a fun day. Isn’t that why we fish?
    BTW-caught enough to make ‘gills and scrambled eggs for breakfast.

Thanks Nate!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

Awesome breakfast to have……good job

baldwin4
    NE IA

Quote:

Went to a public lake in southern Iowa today. Nice day to be out and about again, and confirmed my opinion about Iowans. Met another fisherman who was kind enough to share not only his spot, but his Vexilar (my dad took ours to the farm) and his Otter. Didn’t catch many, but it was a fun day. Isn’t that why we fish?

Thanks Nate!

Sounds like a good time Welcome to the site…..

dbrode
    Mingo, IA

Where at in southern IA? Lake Rathbun by chance? I was out on a private pond in the Runnels area. Not too far away. Caught 2 crappies, one a fat 12 inch monster, and the other a 9 incher and one 2 lb. catfish. Slow going again today they’re down there, just don’t bite. Help!!

witt
    Iowa City, IA

No, not that far south. I was just driving around looking for a spot and happened across this one, I believe around the Columbus Junction/Lone Tree area?
    Thinking about going down to the Rathbun area next weekend if the weather stays nice, I know some farmers down there that usually let me fish. Anyone know of any Iowa River backwater areas to fish?

hib
    Waterloo, IA

Quote:

Didn’t catch many, but it was a fun day. Isn’t that why we fish?

Gotta love it! I had a couple hours to myself this morning because of other commitments. Drive by a local pond and walk out to see what kinda action if any was taking place. Spoke with a fella making swiss cheese out the ice and asked if he had marked anything. He says no, but to grab the vex and follow him around if I liked. After a dozen more holes I marked fish. He drags his Yukon over, baits up a pole and hands to me. See what’s down there while I drill some more he says. I caught several yellow and white bass while he checks the other holes. Says he didn’t mark a thing. While I’m catching fish on his pole, he sets the shack up and offers me a seat. I explained I had to go and thanked him for the offer. I wish i would have got his name.
    I think fishermen as a whole are great people Even some of those guys that aren’t Iowans

witt
    Iowa City, IA

Right on.
    It’s those encounters that remind us of the reason we enjoy our natural resources.
    Have a good ice season, looks like there’s plenty more to come!
    I’ll post my results with pics next time, hoping to get our four year old on some late ice fish.

DrewH
    s/w WI.

Quote:

Thanks Nate!

I was bass fishing at Bagley, WI. in late Oct 08. Met up with a fellow from Iowa on the water. We visited a while and before we parted he gave up some of his honey holes and even gave me the one of the hot lures he was using. He refused to take my money. Several years ago while pheasant hunting in Iowa I had a land owner invite me to hunt his land and told me if I didn’t have my limit by noon he would send his son down the road to help. I did get my limit just before the rain started. While cleaning the birds along the side of the road, his son came walking down the road in the rain to offer his help. NOW THAT IS JUST ABOUT THE BEST PEOPLE I HAVE MET FROM THE GREAT STATE OF IOWA. For those on this site from Iowa please take a bow you diserve it. Oh I did not leave the pheasant guts in the ditch; in plastic bag for that purpose to dispose of at home s/w WI.

jripperger83
    Knoxville, IA

Gotta love the corn fed Iowans Anywho, I was also looking at heading to Rathbun in the near future as well, and was wondering where to look for walleyes down there. Dont want any honey holes just a good place to start. Thanks in advance for any info.

dbrode
    Mingo, IA

Very nice post about us Hawkeyes. Any ideas on Rathbun would be greatly apprecieted here too. And a snowmobile to get around on it!!

witt
    Iowa City, IA

To be honest, when I go to deep southern Iowa (Wayne, Lucas) I hit up some farm ponds for both ice and open water. Those small ponds have large fish.
    On another note, is there any way to get to the marina at the Coralville Resevoir? It seems that would be safe place to drill holes, I’m a little iffy about fishing below the spillway even though I know people do it.
    Any info on the Res would be appreciated.
    GO HAWKS (at least we have football)

btomlin
    Albia, IA

Rathbun has been tough!!! Not a lot of biting taking place. Haven’t had much luck in over a week. A buddy of mine was out all day yesterday. He fished 15 brushpiles in many different areas of the lake and got 3 keepers. He was pretty bummed out. He even said he got a call from a retired guy that fishes the lake everyday that can’t find any fish.

jripperger83
    Knoxville, IA

Thanks. Where does a guy start looking for walleye on Rathbun. Ive heard around the dam, but thats about all I know.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.