Fishing behind Gundersen

• cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

Anyone had luck behind GL? I’m hoping to get out Saturday with a buddy and was wondering about that spot. I haven’t been down there this year, and hit it only once last year (didn’t do well). Feel free to PM me if you wish.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Gunderson is a hit and miss for nicer fish every year. There has been some nice fish taken out of there the last two years but then there are the days when everything seems to run on the small side also.

It is worth a try, make sure to look for suspend crappies and gill in the deep just out of the crowd. Don’t be afraid to drill a lot of holes, and then move around in the abyss keeping an eye on the flasher. If nothing moves through in 5 minutes to check out you offering jump to the next hole. You will find fish.

The gills may be off to the sides of the deep hole in 15-18fow and I would bet they are huggin’ bottom tight, not that you won’t find them suspended or on bottom in 25fow.

When I set up there I like to make sure my start holes are in 12fow and then head for the deep. The area is pretty much a bowl but some good structure can be found.

Another thing I have noticed fishing the bowl there, more times than not the crappies actually bite a little later starting around 9 and getting’ good by 10ish. If you don’t have a bite before 10 head for your plan B

ssaall

…………..OK… Thought this was going to be a good Joke…..

janetb53

Looks like we’ll need a good flasher before we head out there. Marking fish will save so much time.
    Then again with a temperature of 20, hole hoppiing will be easier when we are fishing in a t-shirt and, shorts and a baseball cap. Appreciate the tips, Bret.

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

Bstinger…meet at my place around 7:30?

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

You’ll find gills and crappies suspended together right now over insane depths. Fish in 30+ feet of water. Fish will be 10 (crappies) ft down to 18 (mix) feet down. Use bigger baits to eliminate annoying 3-4″ gills. Use plastics over waxies if at all possible. I used to fish there all of the time, we always caught our share of nice 10-12″ crappies. They are still there but with all the pressure it receives nowadays, good luck getting those nicer fish to hit. I did catch a pig 13-1/2″er in there this fall fishing for bass..

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

My best producing baits while fishing behind the hospital for crappies have been the Silver/Green Slender Spoon or the Pink/White Demon jig both tipped with a minnow head. The Pink/White Ratso tipped with a waxie or just bear has also iced it’s share of good fish too.

janetb53

Fishing with a northern Wisconsin boy, hard to fish pool 7 or 8 and find the deeper water crappies as he is used to up nort, eh? I have found some deep, less current holes just off shore and well below the wing dams right next to Dakota, MN side. Anyone every thrown a line in there? We nailed some large gills there in the fall and it just looks like a great spot crappie spot. I’d love to find some water less traelled and of course still fishy.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

I don’t think you would have much luck with the crappies/gills on the main channel this time of year..I could be wrong though…Perch..now that’s a different story…

Matt Hall
    Mount Horeb, WI

Any updates on the bite back behind GL? My dad is coming to town and I need to convince him that all the fishing gear he’s funded actually works.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.